ASDR Table of Contents
Other details can be found in Man-in-the-browser attack.
The 7 Main Types of Trojan Horse
- Remote Access Trojan (RAT): Designed to provide the attacker full control of the infected machine. Trojan horse usually masqueraded as a utility.
- Data Sending Trojan: Trojan horse that uses keylogger technology to capture sensitive data like passwords, credit card and banking information, and IM messages, and sends them back to the attacker.
- Destructive Trojan: Trojan horse designed to destroy data stored on the victim’s computer.
- Proxy Trojan: Trojan horse that uses the victim's computer as a proxy server, providing the attacker an opportunity to execute illicit acts from the infected computer, like banking fraud, and even malicious attacks over the internet.
- FTP Trojan: This type of Trojan horse uses the port 21 to enable the attackers to connect to the victim's computer using File Transfer Protocol.
- Security software disabler Trojan: This Trojan horse is designed to disable security software like firewall and antivirus, enabling the attacker to use many invasion techniques to invade the victim's computer, and even to infect more than the computer.
- Denial-of-Service attack Trojan: Trojan horse designed to give the attacker opportunity to realize Denial-of-Service attacks from victim's computer.
Some common symptoms:
- Wallpaper and other background settings auto-changing
- Mouse pointer disappears
- Programs auto-loading and unloading
- Strange window warnings, messages and question boxes, and options being displayed constantly
- e-mail client auto sending messages to all on the user's contacts list
- Windows auto closing
- System auto rebooting
- Internet accounts information changing
- High internet bandwidth being used without user action
- Computer's high resources consumption (computer slows down)
- Ctrl + Alt + Del stops working
A Trojan horse can break througt all the security polices in a network, because a attacker can get access to a WorkStation that can have network credentials stored in. With this credentials a attacker can compromise all the network.
Related Threat Agents