Symbolic name not mapping to correct object
This is a Vulnerability. To view all vulnerabilities, please see the Vulnerability Category page.
Last revision (mm/dd/yy): 02/28/2009
A constant symbolic reference to an object is used, even though the underlying object changes over time.
- Access control: The attacker can gain access to otherwise unauthorized resources.
- Authorization: Race conditions such as this kind may be employed to gain read or write access to resources not normally readable or writable by the user in question.
- Integrity: The resource in question, or other resources (through the corrupted one) may be changed in undesirable ways by a malicious user.
- Accountability: If a file or other resource is written in this method, as opposed to a valid way, logging of the activity may not occur.
- Non-repudiation: In some cases it may be possible to delete files that a malicious user might not otherwise have access to, such as log files.
- Talk about the factors that make this vulnerability likely or unlikely to actually happen
- Discuss the technical impact of a successful exploit of this vulnerability
- Consider the likely [business impacts] of a successful attack
- Time of check, time of use race condition
- Comparing classes by name
Related Technical Impacts