SpoC 007 - Attacks Reference Guide - Progress Page
The Attack reference guide is being developed by NSRAV Security R&D and Przemyslaw 'Rezos' Skowron. In order to avoid work superposition, the project was divided in 3 phases comprising the following activities:
- Attack list revision and description (60% of the project)
- Attacks categorization (20% of the project)
- Research and describe new attacks (20% of the project)
Total project status: 100% Done!
CheckPoints and Decision
Phase 1 - 90% Done
- Attack List Revision: Done!
Total number of items on the Attack Guide: 91!
We noticed that Attack reference guide was previously defined based on CWE - Common Weakness Enumeration, which defines global software weakness and threats. In order to develop the Attack reference guide focused on Web application attacks, we reviewed the list and marked some items to be removed from the list. The contents of generic or redundant items were used in descriptions of some items and marked to be removed too.
Items considered to removal from the attack list: 30 items, as follows:
- Attacks Description: 51 of 59 items done!
Phase 2 - DONE!
The attacks categorization was based on Common Attack Pattern Enumeration and Classification - CAPEC, since it is maintained by a respected entity and wide enough to fit all web application attacks.
The categories defined are:
- Category:Abuse of Functionality
- Category:Probabilistic Techniques
- Category:Exploitation of Authentication
- Category:Resource Depletion
- Exploitation of Privilege/Trust
- Category:Injection (Injecting Control Plane content through the Data Plane)
- Data Leakage Attacks
- Category:Resource Manipulation
- Category:Protocol Manipulation
- Time and State Attacks
It was also defined the threats categorization based on WASC Threat Classification v2, under development.
Research and Description of new attacks(under revision):
- Block Access to Libraries - add as a example of Setting_Manipulation
- Denial_of_Service - The DoS items previously described were extracted from Testing_for_Denial_of_Service section of OWASP_Testing_Guide.
Note: this links were inserted here by Dinis Cruz from OWASP-NSRAV.zip file
Note2: Other items inserted and sorted by name by Leonardo Cavallari (NSRAV).
by Przemyslaw 'rezos' Skowron (20071025 - part I - first 50%])
by Przemyslaw 'rezos' Skowron (20071104 - part II - second 50%])
- Account_lockout_attack - (diff , history)
- Alternate_XSS_Syntax - (diff, history)
- Asymmetric_resource_consumption_(amplification) - (diff, history)
- Blind_SQL_Injection - (diff, history)
- Blind_XPath_Injection - (diff, history)
- Comment_Element - (diff, history)
- Cryptanalysis - (diff, history)
- Custom_Special_Character_Injection - (diff, history)
- XPATH_Injection - (diff, history)
- XSS_using_Script_Via_Encoded_URI_Schemes - (diff, history)
- XSS_using_Script_in_Attributes - (diff, history)
NEW ITEMS - 20071104 (by Przemyslaw 'rezos' Skowron):