September 10, 2012 SB Report
Sarah Baso - Report of Conference Activity for August 2012 (Prepared for September 10, 2012 Board Meeting)
General Committee Info
- Committee Membership: no changes, currently 8 members: Mark Bristow, Ralph Durkee, Richard Greenberg, Lucas Ferreira, John Wilander, Mohd Fazli Azran, Lorna Alamri, and Benny Ketelslegers.
- Committee Chair: Mark Bristow
- July Committee Meeting Minutes:
- Recurring meeting time: the third Wednesday of the month at 3pm GMT/UTC. 'Next Meetings scheduled for:
- Wednesday, Septembeer 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM (15:00) UTC/GMT
- Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 3:00 PM (15:00) UTC/GMT
- Global Conferences Committee Budget - $26,029 of $40,000 remaining ($13,971 spent).
Major Activities/Projects (in addition to attending monthly committee meetings, taking & posting meeting minutes):
- Working with committee on setting goals for 2013, drafting committee budget for 2013, and drafting proposed revenue goals for 2013 Global AppSec Events
- Proposals for the 2013 AppSec USA event - one submission received from NYC. Submission to be reviewed/decided at September meeting.
- Soliciting proposals for the 2013 AppSec Latam Event
- Requested comments from committee on conference planning documents drafted by Sarah Baso:
- Ongoing - Updated and monitored google form for tracking schwag requests and monitor OCMS for events that have requested schwag but not entered request into google form.
- Ongoing - Work with Konik, Kate, Rocksport, Zazzle, Lulu, and other misc. vendors to fulfull merchandise and conference requests.
AppSec India 2012 - Regional
- Schedule for conference talks and training posted
- Over 150 people attended training, and 400 people attended conference
- Local event planners project the event to have made a profit, no details have been received from local team as of 10-Sept-2012
- Event attended by Sarah Baso: Post Event Report
AppSec Ireland 2012 - Regional
- Approx 100 people registered through cvent
- Conference Schedule posted on event website: appsecireland.org
- Sponsors: F5, WhiteHat Security, BCC Risk Advisory
- Other orgs/supporters: (ISC)2, irishdev, Pentest Magazine, Google Developer Group Dublin, Irish Internet Association, Irish Computer Society, British Computer Society, Irish Reporting and Information Security Service
- Event attended by Samantha Groves (staff), Michael Coates (Board), Eoin Keary (organizer, Board)
OWASP Israel 2012 - Regional
- Event website: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Israel_2012
- Free event with over 450 people registered to attend through cvent
- Gold: Quotium, Imperva, Ernst & Young, Akamai, IBM, Radware
- Silver: GRSec, Liveperson, RSA, Foresight, Komodo Consulting, Secoz, HP, Rafael Co
- Event projected to make a profit, no details have been received from local team as of 10-Sept-2012
AppSec USA 2012 - Global
- Current conference profit estimate: $25,000 (Budget)
- Sponsorships = $180,000 - new sponsorships include: NTObjectives (Platinum), Akamai (Silver), Rapid7 (Silver), RSA (Silver), Security Innovation (Silver + reception)
- Training courses posted: http://www.appsecusa.org/schedule/trainings/
- Jim Manico & Eoin Keary are offering 2 Free, half day training courses targeted at the developer community: Registration through Eventbrite:
- Speaker selection complete and schedule posted: http://appsecusa2012.sched.org/
- Currently finalizing details on: Open Source Showcase, CFT, University Challenge/Hackademic Challenge, & Social Events
- Extra-curricular conference events:
- Conference Attendee Social Event (Thursday evening after conference talks until 8pm)
- Movie sneak peak: Reboot - http://www.appsecusa.org/schedule/reboot/ (Thursday evening 8-10pm)
- 5k Race - Friday Morning
- Current Registration: 174 Paid + 264 Comps (Sponsors, Speakers, Trainers, OWASP Leaders, Giveaways, etc) = 438
- Estimated Event Profit: $120,000
AppSec Brazil 2012 - Regional
- Event cancelled - was to be hosted by OWASP Paraíba Chapter but Chapter Leader (who was the main person driving the event) had to drop out due to personal reasons.
AppSec Latam 2012 - Global
- Fabio Cerullo is serving as their GCC liaison
- Event logistics (location and date) finalized:
- Hosted at Antel National Telco Building in Montevideo, Uruguay
- 2 days of training: Nov. 18-19
- 2 days of conference talks: Nov. 20-21 (2 Tracks)
- 4 Keynotes confirmed: Jerry Hoff, Pravir Chandra, Cristian Borghello, and Hernan M. Racciatti
- CFP and CFT deadline was Friday, hope to have decisions on schedule within 1 week.
- Sponsorship Opportunities - a 25% discount will be offered to sponsors who sign on by the end of September 2012.
- In the process of finalizing hotel room block
AppSec APAC 2013 - Global
- Sarah working with local team to set up status calls
AppSec EU/Research 2013 - Global
- Hamburg, Germany (related documents)
- Local team working to finalize dates within the next week
- Conference/Project management set up in Redmine
Upcoming Outreach Events
- Hacker Halted USA
- Hacker Halted Asia Pacific 2012
- Malaysia Open Source Conference 2012
- Global Membership Handout (Template created by PR with Brains for NY Chapter, and modified for use at BlackHat Booth)
- Contract with Patrick Calder at Design Foundry & DeNita Morris at Sisterworks Publishing to fulfill needs as outlined in Marketing RFP. Sarah has ongoing weekly status calls to discuss progress & next steps.