OWASP Foundation (Overview Slides) is a professional association of global members and is open to anyone interested in learning more about software security. Local chapters are run independently and guided by the Chapter_Leader_Handbook. As a 501(c)(3) non-profit professional association your support and sponsorship of any meeting venue and/or refreshments is tax-deductible. Financial contributions should only be made online using the authorized online chapter donation button. To be a SPEAKER at ANY OWASP Chapter in the world simply review the speaker agreement and then contact the local chapter leader with details of what OWASP PROJECT, independent research or related software security topic you would like to present on.
Or consider the value of Individual, Corporate, or Academic Supporter membership. Ready to become a member?
The Sacramento OWASP Chapter promotes the principles of OWASP in our local community with an emphasis on education, local networking opportunities, and fun. Meetings are typically on the last Thursday evening of the month.
NEXT MEETING: DATABASE SECURITY - Thursday October 8, 2009 6:00-8:00pm
The next OWASP Sacramento meeting is on Thursday October 8th at 6pm. This meeting will be hosted at EDS Medi-Cal in Rancho Cordova, CA. Snacks and drinks will be provided. PLEASE RSVP here.
- TOPIC: A roundtable discussion on Database Security will be chaired by Ned Allison, a local DBA who specializes in information security. Mr. Allison will give a short overview of database security and then the floor will be open to discussion and questions. Topics that may be covered include:
- Database server hardening
- Database authentication protocols
- Database authentication patterns (identity delegation, trusted subsystem)
- Database access control
- Secure schema design
- Best practices for data consumers
- Best practices for developers
- Bring your own database security topic
The emphasis will be on practical tips that you can implement immediately. We expect that a number of DBAs, developers, and security professionals will attend so there will be a lot of people to learn from and network with. For an orientation to the topic, see the OWASP Backend Security Project at http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Backend_Security_Project
- SPEAKER: Ned Allison has 30 years of database experience and 20 years of security experience. He is an Information Security Engineer/Architect at the Legislative Counsel of California, Legislative Data Center.
- LOCATION INFORMATION: Upon arriving at the main entrance, please ask for Robert Grill, office: 916-636-4392, cell: 916-997-9892. Any problems, please contact Roman Hustad, 916-402-0620
- EDS Medi-Cal (map)
- 3215 Prospect Park Drive
- Rancho Cordova , CA
2009-07-30: Roman Hustad presented "Hands-on Cross-Site Scripting"
2009-05-12: Roman Hustad presented "Hands-on SQL Injection"
2008-10-30: Joy Forsythe from Fortify Software presented "Voting Security."
2008-07-31: Roman Hustad presented "How to Test the Security of Web Applications."
2008-06-26: Shan Zhou from Imperva presented "Database Security."
2008-04-03: Ryan C. Barnett from Breach Security presented "Passive Web Application Defect Identification."
2007-08-30: Barmak Meftah from Fortify Software presented "Hack proof your Service-Oriented Architecture" to 15 attendees.
2007-10-01: We have rescheduled the next meeting for November 29th 2007. Please contact Matt Petteys with questions or suggestions.
2007-07-15: We have rescheduled the next meeting for August 30th 2007. Please contact Matt Petteys with questions or suggestions.
2007-07-01: OWASP Sacramento is requesting comments on future topics using the following URL. OWASP Sacramento Topic Survey
2006-06-27: OWASP Sacramento is planning a public presentation in late August 2007. Contact the chapter leader with questions or suggestions.