Projects Reboot 2012
Welcome the the OWASP Project Reboot Page:
What is the OWASP Project ReBoot initiative?
OWASP needs to refresh, revitalize & update its projects. We need to make the software development community more aware of our efforts and demonstrate the foundations library of solutions & guidance designed to help with the secure application development lifecycle.
The proposal for this initiative is here: OWASP_Project_Reboot_-_Proposal.pdf
To that end we have a budget to fund various project related activities. We hope putting some financial support behind projects will re-energise our community and hopefully deliver some great high quality material which can be used to support software developers and testers for years to come:
Type 1: Update, rewrite & complete guides or tools.
This "type" is aimed at both existing and new tools or guides which require development effort to update, augment, rewrite, develop in order to achieve a high quality release quality product.
- "Mini" Project based summits: Expenses associated with getting global workshops, with the aim of releasing a new version of a project.
- Paying contributors for their time and effort. OWASP Leaders can not be paid but other team members are eligible.
- Paying for user guides etc to be professionally developed (technical writing etc).
Type 2: Market, Training, Awareness, increase adoption.
Existing, healthy robust tools and guides can utilise Type 2 activities to help with creating awareness and increasing adoption of that project.
- Assisting with expenses associated with marketing a project.
- Costs facilitating OWASP project focused training and awareness events
How are we going to fund this??
We are requesting all OWASP chapters which are in a healthy financial position to pledge 25% of their chapters funds to pay for this initiative.
The Foundation shall also support this initiative with additional funding.
The goal is to accumulate a budget of $100K which shall be appointed to projects undergoing this reboot.
Can I apply for this Reboot?
You certainly can, assuming you are an OWASP member.
If you feel your project is ready or has potential you can apply for the reboot programme.
How does funding work?
Type 1: Funding can be applied for as required if travel/mini summit etc is to be expensed as part of the reboot. Development activities; payment to contributors (no OWASP Leaders) shall be at 50% and 100% milestones.
Milestones are agreed prior to project reboot initiation.
Once the 50% milestone is reached the work done to date shall be reviewed by a member of the - GPC and also another nominated OWASP reviewer (generally an OWASP leader).
Type 2: Funding is supplied as required. Items to be funded are agreed prior to reboot initiation.
Invoices for the required services are sent directly to the foundation for payment.
How do I apply? Send in a proposal with the following information:
- Project name and description. Including reboot project lead and any team members.
- Re boot type (Type 1 or Type 2)
- Goals of the reboot
- Timeline for the 50% milestone and the 100% milestone. Suggested milestone reviewers (Generally OWASP Leaders or other industry experts)
- Budget required and how you shall spend it.
Want to support this initiative or learn more? Contact Eoin Keary