OWASP Web Testing Environment Project
OWASP WTE, or OWASP Web Testing Environment, is a collection of application security tools and documentation available in multiple formats such as VMs, Linux distribution packages, Cloud-based installations and ISO images.
The OWASP WTE project is an enhancement of the original OWASP Live CD Project and expands the offering from a static Live CD ISO image to a collection of sub-projects. Its primary goal is to
Make application security tools and documentation easily available and easy to use.
At its heart, OWASP WTE is a collection of easy to use application security tools and documentation. WTE has a variety of ways to distribute them:
The project is focused at provding a ready environment for testers, developers or trainers to learn, enhance, demonstrate or use their application security skills. Its been an active OWASP project since 2008 and has had over 300,000 downloads.
Beyond the collection of tools from OWASP and other security projects, OWASP WTE has begun producing and including its own security tools, especially where there were no existing tools which fit a particular need.
OWASP WTE is free to use. Its licensing is dependant on several factors:
In short, you can use and share OWASP WTE as much as you want. The only time you may have an obligation is when you modify and redistrubute OWASP WTE. If you are unsure, please ask the OWASP WTE Mail list
What is WTE?
OWASP WTE provides:
News and Events
Question: What is the login (aka username and password) for the VMs?
The default username and password for the OWASP WTE VMs is owasp and owasp. Obviously, if you're going to run this for any period of time or in a situation more then a host-only VM, update the password for the owasp user to something long and random. Regrettably, I have to set something as a default and owasp/owasp seems like a sensible thing. The owasp user has sudo privileges if you need to do admin tasks, update software, etc.
Question: How to I update my OWASP WTE VM?
The OWASP WTE VMs ship with a OWASP WTE repository already configured. The same process you use to update the base OS (Xubuntu) will also update the OWASP WTE pacakges. Beyond the GUI tools, you can do the following in a terminal:
$ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get upgrade
Question: What are the project's goals
The overarching goal for this project is to make application security tools and documentation easily available. I see this as a great complement to OWASP's goal to make application security visible.
The project has several other goals going forward:
- Provide a showcase for great OWASP tools and documentation
- Provide the best, freely distributable application security tools in an easy to use package
- Ensure that the tools provided are as easy to use as possible.
- Continue to add documentation and tools to the OWASP Live CD
- Continue to document how to use the tools and how the tool modules where created.
- Align the tools provided with the OWASP Testing Guide
There were also some design goals, particularly, this should be an environment which is
- easy for the users to keep updated
- easy for the project lead to keep updated
- easy to produce releases
- focused on just web application testing - not general Pen Testing.
(For general Pen Testing, the gold standard is Kali Linux.)
Original SoC Goals are still available for the curious.
OWASP WTE is developed by a worldwide team of volunteers. The primary contributors to date have been:
- Kent Poots
- Brad Causey
- Drew Beebe
- Nishi Kumar
- David Hughes
- Simon Bennetts
- Achim Hoffmann
- Your name here!
Numerous others have provided feedback, suggestions, bugs and other assistance. If you've been missed, please email matt.tesauro [at] owasp [dot] org and let him know.
As of May 2014, the priorities are:
- Adding support for RPM packages
- GPG signing all packages
- More support for Cloud-based installations
Involvement in the development and promotion of OWASP WTE is actively encouraged! You do not have to be a security expert in order to contribute. Some of the ways you can help:
- Use WTE and submit bugs, suggestion, feedback
- Suggest tools, docs or something else to add to the project
- Blog/Tweet/shout about WTE
- Make a video on using WTE and let the project know about it
- Ping the OWASP WTE Mail list for more ideas or with a suggestion
| PROJECT INFO
What does this OWASP project offer you?
| RELEASE(S) INFO|
What releases are available for this project?