Difference between revisions of "OWASP Security Labeling System Project"
|Line 42:||Line 42:|
== PRESENTATION ==
== PRESENTATION ==
== MOTIVATION ==
== MOTIVATION ==
Revision as of 19:28, 13 March 2014
Making security VISIBLE for everybody.
WHAT IS IT?
The labeling system is composed by 4 badges:
* Security(S). Security starts with SECURE CODING, and secure maintenance. This badge is for Software developed with a secure life cycle, following recommended security coding practices(OWASP TOP TEN, OWASP security principles...) and recommended security tools(Zed Attack Proxy, SAINT, DEpendency check...)
* Privacy(P). Security is also about TRUST. Technical security is not relevant if Software comes with hidden non-authorized backdoors, or surveillance code by default. This Privacy badge is for Software free of non-authorized spyware, and web applications following ethical principles of data protection.
* Ingredients(I). Security is also about TRANSPARENCY. This condition is possible through the use of Open Source Software. Contemporary Software is built(and linked) by many components such as shared libraries, third party code, APIS, and so on. This badge consists on Software exposing their components and third party code.
* Openness(O). Security might also be OPEN. Open security means having a fast and reliable IT security team. This openness badge consists on exposing the Software or Web Application last vulnerability reports to the public.
The System provides 4 logos and 4 clauses(1 for each badge).
STEP 1: Get Registered in the OWASP Security Labeling system Site.
STEP 2: Download the badge-logo(s) and paste it into your website or distributed medium.
- Between DEVELOPER and the OWASP SECURITY LABELING PROJECT. By including the Labeling-logos, the Developer gets the compromise of following the OWASP labeling requirements.
- Between DEVELOPER and USERS. By incorporating the Labeling-Clauses, the Developer assumes a direct compromise with their software users. This compromise has a legal value as it is incorporated into the contract.
- Between OWASP SECURITY LABELING PROJECT and USERS. Users can report violations of the labeling system to the OWASP labeling project Volunteers.
After joining the OWASP community in my local chapter, I got the idea of a security labeling system. When I contacted Jeff Williams I found out that he already proposed a very similar idea few years ago. We think we can revive it. The OWASP international community has the purpose of making security visible, and opinions from different sides are crucial in order to create a practical and widely used labeling system.
NEWS AND EVENTS
The OWASP Security Labeling System Project is free to use. All documentation is licensed under the http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license], so you can copy, distribute and transmit the work, and you can adapt it, and use it commercially, but all provided that you attribute the work and if you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
Why creating a security labeling system is important?
Making security more visible. Is a transnational and market wise solution. Visual, and easy to apply. Different labeling categories for different purposes.
Which security labels can I add to my Software?
Security label(S). Privacy label(P). Ingredients label(I). Openness label(O).
What is the Security label(S) about?
It certifies that certain software follows a secure life cycle, recommended scan policies, secure coding practices, quick vulnerabilities patches, and is programmed and maintained by developers with a software security orientation.
Why is the Security label(S) relevant? Many software projects are already using OWASP guides and tools. A lot of them require developers to follow the OWASP secure coding principles. This label will make these security practices visible for users.
What is the Privacy label(P) about?
This label certifies that your software does not come with non-authorized spyware, and that your personal data will be respected.
Why is the Privacy label relevant? Developers assume the legal compromise of not including hidden backdoors and surveillance code. The user would also have the obligation of checking the software hashsums.
What is the Ingredients label(I) about?
Is about exposing all the components of your software, such as API's, shared libraries, third party software.
Why is the Ingredients label(I) relevant? Because it will help developers and users to identify properly third party code, evaluate the risks of using it, avoid non intentional license compatibility controversies, and so forth.
What is the Openness label(O) about?
It is dedicated to high security environments. Web Applications will expose their vulnerabilities of the last vulnerability scan the public. They will have the time to patch them until the next vulnerabilities scan. The scans should be fixed in a regular basis(e.g. each week).
Why is the Openness label(O) relevant? Getting this label means that a security team reveals their vulnerabilities to the public as expected. but at the same time, it shows to the public how good and fast they are in order to fix them.
The OWASP Security Labeling System is developed by a worldwide team of volunteers. The primary contributors to date have been:
- Luis Enriquez (IT Lawyer)
- Jeff Williams (Security Expert)
- Jorge Lara (Graphical Dessigner)
The priorities of the OWASP Security Labeling System are:
(1)Create and Distribute opinion polls to different sides involved in the IT environment(such as software developers, e-commerce agents, IT security firms, Cyber communities, Internet rights NGOs, lawyers, and of course, users). This stage has already begun, and results are helping us to shape the model.
(2)Create the most suitable methodology for the security labeling system. At this point seems that the best methodology is to create a clause(or declaration) for each badge type, which will have to be included in IT contracts, licenses(additional terms for public licenses), terms of service, or privacy policies. The Developer has the compromise of providing the OWASP labeling system conditions.
(3)Application of the labeling system. The OWASP labeling system volunteers will contribute to check that the system is working properly. The label can always be removed.
Involvement in the development and promotion of the OWASP Security Labeling System is actively encouraged! You do not have to be a security or legal expert in order to contribute. Some of the ways you can help:
- Distribute the opinion polls.
- Improve the system.
- Translate the 'clauses' to other languages in a legal way.
- Improve this wiki.
| PROJECT INFO
What does this OWASP project offer you?
| RELEASE(S) INFO|
What releases are available for this project?