Difference between revisions of "OWASP RFP-Criteria"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
4/11/2010 - Purpose of this project is to simply provide an objective list and a aggregate set of questions from companies to utilize when they issue a RFPs for web application security. The discussions for this project can be found [http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category_talk:OWASP_RFP-Criteria here] and to get more people involved [http://twitter.com/home/?status=Help+Wanted+RFP+Project+at+OWASP+http://bit.ly/98hNFk TWEET IT]
4/11/2010 - Purpose of this project is to simply provide an objective list and a aggregate set of questions from companies to utilize when they issue a RFPs for web application security . The discussions for this project can be found [http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category_talk:OWASP_RFP-Criteria here] and to get more people involved [http://twitter.com/home/?status=Help+Wanted+RFP+Project+at+OWASP+http://bit.ly/98hNFk TWEET IT]
April 11th = Request for OWASP Volunteers RFC open<br>
April 11th = Request for OWASP Volunteers RFC open<br>
June = -
Publish Version 1.0<br>
==== QUESTIONS ====
==== QUESTIONS ====
Revision as of 20:11, 25 May 2010
4/11/2010 - Purpose of this project is to simply provide an objective list and a aggregate set of questions from companies to utilize when they issue a RFPs for web application security (Blackbox Testing). The discussions for this project can be found here and to get more people involved TWEET IT
April 11th = Request for OWASP Volunteers RFC open
June 15th = Publish Version 1.0 - RC1 July 4th = Publish Version 1.0
1. Brief overview of products and/or services offered?
2. How many years has your company been in business?
3. Other relevant background information?
Product/Service Implementation and Assessment Methodology Example: OWASP Testing Guide
1. Describe the implementation process for your product/service - is software or hardware required? Vendor training? Consulting? Any additional personnel costs on customer side? How many personnel are needed? What are their skill sets and expereince levels. --Walter Houser 20:14, 16 April 2010 (UTC)
2. Do you have a training and support program --Walter Houser 20:14, 16 April 2010 (UTC) for your product or service? Is it required? If so, what is the typical amount of time and cost associated with training/education?
3. Approximately how long does it take to implement your product/service?
4. What is the most challenging element associated with installing your product/service?
5. Describe the steps required for your product or service to assess a website?
6. What criteria are used to perform assessments?
7. Specifically, how does your solution scale for multiple websites?
8. How do you ensure you won't affect the performance of a publicly facing website during the testing process?
9. Are you able to identify business logic vulnerabilities? If so, how?
10. How do you limit (or eliminate) the reporting of false positives?
11. How can you ensure you will find all existing vulnerabilities?
12. How do you identify new vulnerabilities and test for them?
13. How are you able to uncover and test for new attack techniques that can be used to exploit known classes of vulnerabilities?
14. How do developers know if they have successfully re-mediated a vulnerability?
15. Does your product or service allow for on-demand / ad hoc testing?
16. Does your product/service offer multiple navigation options?
17. Do you only scan "in the blind" or do you also review a website using log in credentials.
18. How many custom tests are available and how do you determine the number of custom tests will (or can) be run on a given website?
19. Does your product or service allow for automated scheduling and testing, with no human intervention on the part of the customer?
20. How do you continuously improve the quality of your of product/service? How frequently do customers receive updates/enhancements?
21. Describe any recent innovations your company has introduced to lower costs or improve service for your customers.
22. How does your product/service compare to competitive offerings?
23. Does your product/service integrate with web application firewalls (WAFs)? Which ones and how does it work?
24. Does your product/service integrate with bug tracking systems? SIEMs?
- Brute Force
- Insufficient Authentication
- Weak Password Recovery Validation
- Credential / Session Prediction
- Insufficient Authorization
- Insufficient Session Expiration
- Session Fixation
- Content Spoofing
- Cross-site Scripting
- Buffer Overflow
- Format String Attack
- LDAP Injection
- OS Commanding
- SQL Injection
- SSI Injection
- XPath Injection
- Directory Indexing
- Information Leakage
- Path Traversal
- Predictable Resource Location
- Abuse of Functionality
- Denial of Service
- Insufficient Anti-automation
- Insufficient Process Validation
26. Are you currently able to test for Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF) and HTTP Response Splitting?
Web Application Exploration Methodology
1. How does your product/service obtain a baseline of a website?
2. How do you tune your product/service to scan a website most effectively?
3. What methods do you use to discover links on a website?
4. How do you verify with a customer that you are thoroughly scanning all of the links on a given website.
5. How do you test new technologies (e.g. new versions of Flash) for vulnerabilities?
1. Describe your reporting interface using criteria such as ease of use, clarity, comprehensiveness, how reporting components are organized, etc.
2. Is the reporting interface web-based?
3. How does your product or service provide timely updates on any new web application vulnerabilities identified? Are alerts delivered to authorized personnel? If so, how are they delivered and under what conditions?
4. Do you provide historical trending reports that track open/closed vulnerabilities and the ongoing remediation process? Can assessment reports be generated to reflect the vulnerability status of individual web applications, as well as the security health of all web applications?
5. Can your reports be tailored and adapted for viewing by various levels of management, internal/external auditors, security specialists, etc.?
6. In your reporting interface, do you assign severity levels to vulnerabilities found? What criteria is used?
7. Does your solution provide an API so that reports can be exported into other applications, such as CRM apps, bug tracking systems, SIEMs? Are there any canned scripts or standard integrations that exist? With which applications?
8. Do your reports contain recommendations for application developers so that they can improve coding techniques?
9. How do you provide timely and reliable reporting of vulnerabilities for ongoing visibility, measurement, and management?
10. How much effort is required on the part of the customer to generate timely and accurate information using your reporting interface?
11. How does your product or service store scanning and vulnerability report data?
12. How frequently do you provide enhancements to your reporting interface? What is the process?
1. How do you make the remediation process more efficient?
2. Can you help us save costs by not having to pay outside consultants?
3. Can your product or service help us to avoid heavy reliance on internal resources to perform assessments?
4. Does your solution meet PCI 6.6 standards?
5. Can you deliver accurate results and diminish/eliminate false positives, thus making the VA process more efficient?
6. How are you able to assess a site comprehensively - (i.e.) identify all existing vulnerabilities to minimize the possibility of exploitation?
7. Are you able to demonstrate a positive ROI and increased benefits to management? How?
8. Are you able to influence secure coding techniques / reduce time spent debugging? How?
9. Explain why we would realize a competitive advantage by doing business with your company?
1. Can you describe the process in place whereby customers interact with your internal service and support? What are the escalation procedures?
2. Do you provide tracking of all trouble tickets that have been opened and are they tracked through resolution?
3. Do you offer any kind of Service Level Agreement?
1. Explain your product licensing or service fee options?
2. What is the % for ongoing maintenance / support costs?
3. Do you charge separately for additional seats or user IDs?
4. What are the terms associated with your product or service? Can you include a sample Software License Agreement or Master Services Agreement template?
5. Are there other costs we should be made aware of? If consulting or training costs are involved, how do you charge for these services?
6. Are there in-house personnel costs that need to be factored in? If so, can you estimate how many hours should be allocated to internal resources? (as a reference point, use the amount of personnel time it would take to perform one website assessment as an example).
| PROJECT INFO
What does this OWASP project offer you?
| RELEASE(S) INFO|
What releases are available for this project?