OWASP Project Summit 2014/FAQ
- 1 What is the Global Summit? Is it like AppSec or other OWASP conferences?
- 2 When is the Summit?
- 3 Where is the Summit being held?
- 4 Who do I contact for help?
- 5 Where do I stay?
- 6 OWASP SUMMIT SPONSORSHIP
- 7 EMPLOYER FUNDING/SPONSORSHIP
- 8 WORKING SESSIONS
What is the Global Summit? Is it like AppSec or other OWASP conferences?
The OWASP Global Summit is the place where application security experts meet to discuss plans, projects and solutions for the future of application security. The Summit is not a conference - there are no talks or training seminars - this is an opportunity to do actual work to further the field of application security. We are holding the summit as part of our AppSec USA 2013 conference, but it is a separate activity from the conference itself. Participants will stay in shared accommodations and collaborate to produce tangible progress towards influencing standards, establishing roadmaps, and setting the tone for OWASP and application security for the coming years.
The Summit will consist of Summit Working Sessions with a variety of topics set by our community. Participants are free to attend any working session, but we encourage everyone to select working sessions for topics where they have the most to contribute. Anyone can attend the Summit! OWASP community members, application security experts, industry players, and developers are all welcome at the Summit. If you would like to receive a personalized invitation for yourself or another person, see the contact either Johanna Curiel (firstname.lastname@example.org), Dinis Cruz (email@example.com) or Matt Tesauro (firstname.lastname@example.org).
When is the Summit?
The Summit will be held May 20th and 22nd, 2015.
Where is the Summit being held?
Anglia Ruskin University located in Cambridge, UK.
Who do I contact for help?
For help with travel and accommodations, contact Johanna Curiel (email@example.com).
Where do I stay?
The planning team have confirmed rooms at the below accommodation options for the benefit of Conference delegates. You are encouraged to secure your accommodation via the registration form to ensure that you receive the negotiated competitive rates. Rate of 60 GBP per night (20% taxes included). Subject to availability. Please visit the AppSec EU 2014 site for more information.
OWASP SUMMIT SPONSORSHIP
I’m an OWASP leader - why isn’t this free for me?
So who is being funded?
The first round of sponsored attendees was selected based on their contribution to AppSec EU. These sponsored leaders are our Project Talk Speakers and Summit Session Leaders. Leaders with funding in their projects have also decided to use those project funds to assist with the summit, and give project talks at AppSec EU. Key summit assistants were also funded as they will be key to the successful running of a 4 day summit.
What does it mean to be a “sponsored” Summit attendee?
A sponsored summit leader must prepare and chair their scheduled summit session, and a sponsored summit assistant must be available to help with on-site logistics throughout the entirety of the summit.
Why do they get funded and not me?
My employer needs an invitation letter/documentation to sponsor me to go. Where do I get this?
Please contact Samantha Groves with your request, and she will work with you on creating some personalized material for your employer/sponsor.
I need help convincing my employer to fund my Summit attendance - what should I tell them?
You can use the following points in your discussion: This year's Summit will be a gathering of OWASP leaders and key industry players to focus on a variety of important application security topics including browser security and cross-site scripting eradication. Attending the Summit will provide <EMPLOYEE NAME> with opportunities to:
- Participate in the latest developments in application security and influence its trajectory
- Gain new skills and technical knowledge for current application security projects
- Find out where other companies are focusing their energy and resource
- Increase visibility for <COMPANY’S NAME>
We believe that <EMPLOYEE’S NAME>’s attendance at the Global Summit is an worthwhile investment for both <COMPANY NAME> and <EMPLOYEE NAME>. Therefore, we are asking you to consider supporting <EMPLOYEE’S NAME> participation at this important event by donating <HIS/HER> time to attend the Summit.
I want to plan/run a working session. What do I need to do?
- If you haven't done so already, please add your name to the Summit Attendee page.
- After we know you plan to attend the Summit, visit the Summit working sessions page and determine if there is a working session already listed that you are interested in running/planning/leading, or if you have a new idea.
- If there is a session already listed without a leader, feel free to add your name as the leader and send Samantha Groves an email letting her know your intent. She can set you up with a working session page and let you know about any next steps. If a leader already is listed for the session you are interested in, add you your name as session member/attendee and email the leader to see what you can do to help.
- If you have a new idea, add your information to one of the blank rows under the appropriate track name, or under Track: OWASP if you don't see a good fit. Send Johanna Curiel (firstname.lastname@example.org) an email letting her know your intent. She can set you up with a working session page and let you know about any next steps.