OWASP Project Manager Activity Reports/January 14 2013
Revision as of 09:48, 14 January 2013 by Samantha Groves
OWASP Project Manager Report
Work accomplished since December 10, 2012
- Project Numbers
- Active Projects: 124
- Inactive Projects: 67
- New Incubator Projects
Project Manager Q4 Objectives
- Continue grant funding research: Target $150 K in 2013.
- Finalize and Implement New Project Infrastructure processes.
- Coordinate OSS and OWASP Track documentation, guidelines, and processes as they apply to Global AppSec Conferences. (Ongoing for 2013)
- Increase Sales Force use for project management.
- Complete and Launch Projects page.
- Finalise the Project Leader Handbook.
Currently Working On
- Grant Opportunities Recap & Updates
- Guidebooks Proposal: We are in the process of invoicing for this grant award. We will be given the funds in 3 instalments over the course of the project.
- Amount: $25,000
- ESAPI Proposal: Deb, our DHS representative, has let me know that this proposal is still under review.
- Amount: $25,000
- Google Grants: We have been accepted into the Google Grants scheme. I am waiting to hear back from the Google for Non-Profits team for confirmation of the award.
- Amount: $120,000 a year in Google Adwords Money
- ModSecurity Proposal: Ryan and I are working together to develop the first draft of the proposal.
- Salesforce Metadata Migration
- The Salesforce metadata migration is now complete.
- All project data is up-to-date based on the GPCs project inventory spreadsheet.
- I am currently working with Kate to develop a form in Salesforce that will help us ask active project leaders to update their information directly through the form.
- Project Processes & Lifecycle Development
- Process form development: Completed via Salesforce forms.
- Project Stage Benefits: Proposal completed and in the process of being discussed.
- Project Graduation Process: Proposal completed and in the process of being reviewed.
- Project Graduation Criteria: Still in development.
- Project Migration Process: Still in development.
- SourceForge Update
- Audrey from Geeknet has responded to our proposal.
- The Geeknet team has decided not to accept any of our options, see below:
- Option 1: OWASP would like to propose that Geeknet waive either all or a percentage of the invoice fee, and redistribute the funds as a donation to the OWASP Foundation.
- Option 2: OWASP would like to propose a 1 year corporate membership, and a 6 month online rotating banner advertisement in exchange for $10,000 being deduction from the Invoice in question. Total value: $17,500 in OWASP Services.
- However, they did deduct $2500 from the original invoice: Update Geeknet Invoice.
- We have agreed to accept this new proposal, and we are currently processing their payment.
- AppSec APAC 2013: Planning
- OSS & OPT forms are up.
- I developed banners for each event: Projects Page.
- I launched individual communication pieces this morning announcing the "call for entries": LinkedIn, Blog, Twitter.
- I am attending the conference to help coordinate the event, and I am leading the Chapter Leader Workshop with the help of a translator.
Important GPC Meeting Outcomes and Discussion Points
- GPC Meeting: November 16 2012 Project Manager Report
- GPC Meeting: November 30 2012 Project Manager Report
- GPC Meeting: December 07 2012 Project Manager Report
- The ModSecurity proposal grant writing is in progress.
- SourceForge: They have responded. They decided to decline both options proposed by OWASP, but they have deducted $2500 from the original bill. We are currently processing the new invoice.
- AppSec APAC 2013: Call for Entries for the Open Source Showcase & OWASP Projects Track were launched again. Justin, Sam ,and possibly Nishi and Keith will attend.
- Part-Time Project Support Volunteer Role for Guidebook Projects: The final applicant count was 14 volunteers. I am currently processing the applications, and I will allocate roles come next week.
- FOSDEM: The application for a stand was submitted this week. If we get the stand, Seba and Martin K. will manage it for OWASP.
- Nishi: Will touch base with Matt Tesauro regarding the wiki file size requirement.
- Question for Justin: Have you spoken to James Greenberg from AppSec Labs? Have they come to a decision regarding their license choice, and whether they are choosing to continue as an OWASP Project?
- Question: Do we have criteria that measures whether a project is active or not?: Answer: The OpsTeam is working on creating an e-mail through Salesforce that will ask all current 'Active' project leaders to give us a status update. Additionally, it will give them an opportunity to update their information.
- Active Project Criteria: We discussed the idea of requiring project leaders to send us an update every six months, or annually. The aim is to make sure a project is still active.
- Project Update required information would be something along the lines of: Update the wiki with links and announcements, a summary of what you have accomplished, and a summary of your future plans.