OWASP Newsletter 7
Sent to owasp-all mailing list on ?? Mar 2007
OWASP Newsletter #7 (?-Mar-2007)
Welcome to the 7th OWASP Newsletter, stuffed with the latest OWASP and Web Application Security updates.
If you have any content to add to the next edition, feel free to add it directly to its WIKI page (OWASP Newsletter 8).
As Dinis is very busy this week, I helped him out with this Newsletter.
Belgium Chapter Leader
Featured Item: OWASP Chapters
Currently there are over 80 OWASP chapters world wide! The OWASP chapters program helps to foster local discussion of application security around the world. Our local chapters are free and open to anyone. Check out the chapters page to locate a chapter near you or start a new chapter.
There are a lot of resources available for all chapters: The Chapter Rules, the OWASP Chapter Leader Handbook and if you are short of local chapter material, we have started to make available presentations in the monthly Chapter Presentation Bundles.
An extra call for action towards the OWASP (chapter) leaders: If you are in other countries/cities and you would like to participate in a local chapter meeting, do not hesitate to contact the local chapter leader!
Featured Project: OWASP SWAAT Project
SWAAT is a free web application source code analysis tool. SWAAT searches through source code and analyzes against the database of potentially dangerous strings given in the .xml files. Thus it does NOT positively identify the existence of a vulnerability - this generally requires application contextual knowledge. It identifies the usage of functions / strings / SQL that could lead to a finding. All potentially dangerous code references are included in the output report.
Future releases of SWAAT will include:
- a graphical user interface (GUI)
- integrated development environment (IDE) plug-ins
- more sophisticated functionality and logic (for example to work with .java source)
SWAAT was generously donated by Security Compass
Featured Event: Application Security Track at Spring <br /> Conference 2007 (Athens, OH Mar-22)
Harden web applications against the OWASP "Top 10 Threats"! The Spring <br /> Conference 2007 is held on Thursday, March 22, 2007 on the campus of Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. They have a dedicated Application Security track and more in this day long event that has been described as, "one of the best kept secrets in Information Technology!".
At this event, the fifth annual, Joel Stanley of Resource Interactive, in Columbus, OH, will share his experiences in maintaining applications with user bases as large as 15+ million. He'll explore how to utilize standards by which application security and vulnerability can be judged. Join hundreds of your IT professional peers in this and your choices of thirty-four other sessions in seven tracks at this day long event that costs only $35 (including your lunch!). Ben Forta, Chief Product Evangelist of Adobe Systems will be giving the Key Note presentation, plus Ben will be back to give a presentation at the Lunchtime Session as well. Visit http://www.sbconference.com for all the details and to register online!
Latest additions to the WIKI
- OWASP Spring Of Code 2007
- Kansas City March 2007 Meeting
- Authorization form
- Session Fixation in Java
Updated chapter pages:
- Appendix A: Testing Tools
- Testing for SQL Server
- Ajax and Other "Rich" Interface Technologies
- Testing for business logic
- Preventing SQL Injection in Java
- 6th OWASP AppSec Conference - Italy 2007
- OWASP Java Table of Contents
- Signing jar files with jarsigner
- Testing for HTTP Methods and XST
- Category talk:Code Snippet
- OWASP Autumn of Code 2006
- OWASP Education Presentation
- Category:OWASP Education Project
- How to value the real risk
- OWASP Education Presentation
- Category talk:OWASP XML Security Gateway Evaluation Criteria Project
- WebGoat User Guide Introduction
- OWASP SiteGenerator
New Documents & Presentations from chapters
- Advanced Injection Attacks from the Kansas City chapter meeting (ppt within a zip)
- Adobe Flash Security from the Kansas City chapter meeting (pdf)
- Luca Carettoni has published an interview to OWASP-Italy (OWASP interviews OWASP :) ) Here the full article (in Italian).
For a complete list of chapter presentations see the online table of presentations.
Latest Blog entries
Application Security News
OWASP references in the Media