OWASP Jobs/Event Manager
Event Manager, OWASP Foundation
Title: Event Manager
Classification and time Full time, salaried
Location and travel: Remote, travel 4-6 times per year as required for in-person staff meetings on-site event support. This position will require travel to the OWASP Global AppSec Conferences: AppSec USA, AppSec EU (Research), AppSec AsiaPac, AppSec Latam.
Responsible to: Executive Director
Responsibilities: The Event Manager is responsible for oversight of the organization’s policies, objectives, and initiatives as they relate to OWASP events. Leads community volunteers in the planning, execution, and wrap-up of OWASP events with the goals of both fundraising and spreading the OWASP mission.
Key Job Functions:
- Global, Regional, and Local Event Coordination - works with OWASP staff and volunteers to successfully execute the Foundation’s annual Global AppSec conferences as well as supporting local event planners in their coordination of local and regional events
- Event Planning - activities include:
- Assisting local event teams in understanding the details of hosting an OWASP event;
- Working with volunteers and vendors to understand precise event requirements;
- Researching, negotiating, and securing event venues and other service providers;
- Ensuring insurance, legal, health, and safety obligations are adhered to;
- Coordinating venue management, catering, equipment and other on-site needs;
- Working with volunteers to identify and secure conference content (speakers, trainers, workshops, contests, etc);
- Planning room layouts, event schedules, and program details;
- Identifying and communicating staffing requirements;
- Coordinating event registration and handling questions from attendees, sponsors, speakers, trainer and volunteers about the event;
- Working with event volunteers, OWASP Staff, and any contractors to create and execute a promotion plan communication schedule for the event;
- Liaising with volunteers and designers to create a brand identity and website for the event and the production of marketing materials;
- Overseeing the setup and dismantling of the event, troubleshooting on the day of the event to ensure that all runs smoothly;
- Coordinating event wrap up including - payment of invoices, post-event evaluations, and data analysis and reports on event outcome.
- Policy and Task Management - Manage event policies and set standards for event planners. Creates and maintains task lists and timeline templates for volunteers. Propose new ideas to improve the event planning and implementation process.
- Finance - oversees event budgets, works with the OWASP Membership and Business Liaison to manage event sponsorship opportunities, works with OWASP Accounting Staff to ensure all necessary financial paperwork is completed and trainers are paid, provides input into the annual Foundation budget regarding projected event profit and loss, and works with local event planning teams to implement international finance solutions.
- Volunteer Coordination – motivates, guides, and supports local volunteer teams in the planning, execution and wrap-up of OWASP events around the world.
- Communication and Reporting - Serves as a liaison between local volunteer teams and the OWASP staff regarding event finances, task management, and logistical issues. Provides periodic progress reports to staff directors for each global Appsec event and other significant local or regional events. Manages community use of the OWASP Conference Management System (OCMS).
- Minimum 1 year experience in event or conference management.
- Fluent in English Language with strong communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple priorities and commitments concurrently.
- Exceptional time-management skills and the ability to work under pressure.
- Commitment to the organization’s goals and values.
Desired skills, experience, background:
- Strong computer and internet skills including experience working with: Google docs, Salesforce, Cvent (or other event registration systems), MediaWiki markup, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Experience working in a non-profit environment with volunteer driven activities.
- Familiarity with conference planning, event management, or hospitality industry.
- Verbal and written skills in a non-English language a plus.
Salary Full time, starting salary of $35,000/year.
About the OWASP Foundation: The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) is a 501(c)(3) worldwide not-for-profit charitable organization focused on improving the security of software. Our mission is to make software security visible, so that individuals and organizations worldwide can make informed decisions about true software security risks. Everyone is free to participate in OWASP and all of our materials are available under a free and open software license. You'll find everything about OWASP linked from our wiki and current information on our OWASP Blog. OWASP does not endorse or recommend commercial products or services, allowing our community to remain vendor neutral with the collective wisdom of the best minds in software security worldwide. We ask that the community look out for inappropriate uses of the OWASP brand including use of our name, logos, project names and other trademark issues.
How to apply: Email a cover letter and resume with your name and the position you are applying for in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.