The OWASP Chapters program helps to foster local discussion of application security around the world. Our Local Chapters are free and open to anyone. Sales activities are strictly prohibited, although vendors who can provide useful application security information are welcome. Generally, Local Chapters meet between monthly and quarterly, and have presentations and discussion of key application security topics. Many of the OWASP presentations are available for everyone to use.
Joining a Chapter
To join a Local Chapter, simply sign up on the appropriate mailing list and introduce yourself. You can find out about the next meeting by checking the OWASP Portal page for your Local Chapter, or by watching the OWASP Community events on the OWASP Main Page. All of the mailing lists can be found here.
Around the World
Starting a Chapter
You don't need to be an expert in application security, just motivated to organize meetings. There's a lot of help available from other Local Chapter leaders. So get your community moving and start a local OWASP Chapter!
A request to start or restart a chapter should be submitted by the founding member or group to the OWASP Feedback Form and should include:
- List of the people that are founding the chapter and the geographical area to be covered by the new chapter,
- Brief description of professional background or resume (from each of the founding leaders),
- Statement of why he or she wants to be an OWASP Leader (from each of the founding leaders).
- Each founding leader(s) (as well as any leaders joining the chapter after its creation) must read, understand, and agree to the terms of the Chapter Leader Handbook.
Generally speaking, the Chapter Leader Handbook asks that you: * Will commit to organizing at least quarterly meetings * Will find a stable location for meetings * Will find great speakers * Will publicize the chapter and recruit new members * Will keep the chapter non-commercial
What is the process once I submit my request to start a chapter?
Upon receiving the request, Sarah Baso (or whoever is providing administrative support to the Chapters Committee) will give a cursory check of the above items to ensure new chapter leaders are serious and understand their commitment, and and forward the request to the Global Chapter Committee for a second approval. Upon receipt of a second approval by a member of the Global Chapter Committee, the applicant can move forward as a chapter leader. A chapter wiki page and mailing list will be set up for the new leader(s). Additionally the chapter leader(s) will be given an owasp email account and password to operate as the administrator of the new chapter mailing list.
Bring Speakers to Your Chapter
To support Local Chapter meetings and (web application) security conferences we started a travel-support program for OWASP presenters. If you are interested in attracting an OWASP speaker to your event, have a look at OWASP on the Move!
Chapter Support Materials
- For the OWASP Chapter Leader Handbook which includes rules and regulations, click here.
- For OWASP Chapter resources, click here.
- For OWASP Chapter presentations, click here.
- For the OWASP news item template, click here.
- For OWASP Chapter promotion tips click here.
- For OWASP Branded Chapter Supplies please fill out this Google Form for requesting general OWASP promotional materials. Also, to view apparel available through our 3rd party vendor click here
Local Chapters by Geographic Region
Subcategories are listed alphabetically by state, province, or country as applicable.