Difference between revisions of "November 8, 2016"

From OWASP
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
Agenda
+
===Time===
 +
* Date/Time:  November 8, 1800 EST [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2016&month=11&day=08&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=224&p2=24&p3=263&p4=78&p5=37&p6=102&p7=152 TimeZone Converter]
 +
 
 +
===Location=== 
 +
 
 +
'''Teleconference Information:'''
 +
 
 +
https://www3.gotomeeting.com/join/861328838
 +
 
 +
[[International Toll Free Calling Information]]
 +
 
 +
=== Attendance Tracker===
 +
'''[https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApZ9zE0hx0LNdG5uRzNYZE8ycDFabnBWNkU4SFpwREE Board Meeting Attendance Tracker]'''
 +
 
 +
===Notice of Recording===
 +
 
 +
*Notice to all attendees - board meetings are recorded and publicly available as of March, 2013
 +
*Joining the call acknowledges your awareness of recording and consent to be recorded and public dissemination of the recording.
 +
 
 +
=== Meeting Minutes===
 +
::- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/119FJ2G2EdsVnz8vnxWv0Ee0G3uWMTSVqyxt_1CVrHiY/edit?usp=sharing September meeting minutes]
 +
 
 +
= Reading Material  =
 +
'''''It is a requirement as a board member to fully read all material prior to the start of the meeting'''''
 +
 
 +
* Financial statement
 +
::- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1lKioxigkjwWZhRQNPkCxXA68QOV7pOe9yyDx7NSgplI/edit?usp=sharing Analysis by Tom Pappas on YTD to September 30, 2016]
 +
::- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1lKioxigkjwWZhRQNPkCxXA68QOV7pOe9yyDx7NSgplI/edit?usp=sharing September financial package]
 +
 
 +
= Meeting Agenda =
 +
== Call to Order /OWASP Mission ==
 +
*Administrative: List of attendees and Agenda bashing (only if last-minute changes to the agenda are needed) (5 min)
 +
 
 +
== Reports ==
 +
=== Chair's Report - Matt Konda ===
 +
* Turned on ED RecruiterBox:  https://owasp.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk062sn
 +
* Moved Co-Marketing Agreements back to Kate
 +
* OWASP Glue Project
 +
 
 +
=== Vice Chair's Report - Josh Sokol ===
 +
TBA
 +
 
 +
=== Treasurer Report - Andrew van der Stock ===
 +
 
 +
* Financial statement
 +
::- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1lKioxigkjwWZhRQNPkCxXA68QOV7pOe9yyDx7NSgplI/edit?usp=sharing Analysis by Tom Pappas on YTD to September 30, 2016]
 +
::- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1lKioxigkjwWZhRQNPkCxXA68QOV7pOe9yyDx7NSgplI/edit?usp=sharing September financial package]
 +
 
 +
Based on this information, we are likely to have a reasonable year as long as income is realized in the FY16 financial year. We were looking at about a $150k loss for FY16, and it's currently looking at around $30k loss, which might even improve on that depending on the final training, sponsorship and ticket sales of AppSec USA, and getting on top of our aged receivables, which I believe is a prioritization thing rather than structural.
 +
 
 +
I am due to meet Tom Pappas on Tuesday during the day. If you want to be a part of the FY 17 budget, please come along - I welcome both existing Board and Board candidates to this discussion. As we are likely to have a near non-profit year, I will be holding the line on unbudgeted expenses if I am re-elected and if the Board will continue to have me as treasurer in 2017. For those Board members with a big project or initiative NOW is the time to get your initiative funded or wait until 2018.
 +
 
 +
Chapter funds continue to increase. As previously agreed in December 2015's board meeting, I will be sweeping unbudgeted funds from chapters in December 2016. This should become an annual activity to encourage proper financial planning by our larger chapters. I continue to encourage chapter leaders to come up with a plan that is strategically helpful to OWASP's core mission rather than just gold plating their chapter, such as outreach, funding scholarships at Universities, holding a local or regional events, encouraging their members to join and fund on projects of interest to that chapter, and so on. Chapters with a balance of over $5k should present a budget and plan for their funds by December 1. I will personally reach out to these 20-30 affected chapters during October, but would love interested Board members to also help in this process.
 +
 
 +
Depending on our profitability and end of year bank balance, I am leaning towards a hire of the ED in the early part of 2017. We should be strategic about this role - I personally feel the lack of a financially savvy ED has held us back in 2016, which is reflected in our likely near loss if not zero profit for FY16, especially when considering the financial success of FY15. I encourage the Board to be on the look out for an ED candidate who has strong non-profit financial management, grant writing, and fund raising experience to help us jump to the next level.
 +
 
 +
Lastly, I will be talking about changes we need to make to bring us into line with good practice at Charity Navigator. We have hit the benchmark lower limit, and FY17 is an audit year for 2016, which will appear in Charity Navigator. If we wish to receive funds from various grant making organisations, we need to strongly align with these good practices, some of which are very simple, some of which are less so. The main one is to make sure it is ultra clear to anyone that our spend on mission is > 80% of our expenses. I will be discussing this with Tom Pappas on Tuesday, as it probably means that we need to make sure that staff costs are allocated to budgets, or demonstrably so. I think we can easily make these benchmarks depending on our financial treatment of expenses.
 +
 
 +
=== Secretary Report -Tobias Gondrom ===
 +
Nothing to report
 +
 
 +
=== Updated from Members at Large - Tom Brennan, Michael Coates, and Tobias Gondrom ===
 +
 
 +
* Coates - Chapters
 +
TBA
  
 +
* Carter - Governance
 +
TBA
  
 +
* Brennan - Projects
 +
- [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1WO5tH1t1GU9cLqW8iHIaGUANFossid4xFCmKJq7CSSY/edit?usp=sharing Website]
  
 +
==Staff Reports==
 
==Staff Reports==
 
==Staff Reports==
 
** [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/12Php1gJuT7lednfKxdv9QegLeVjFHW2xmnVwOsUgmU8/edit?usp=sharing Director/Operations Update] - Kate
 
** [https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/12Php1gJuT7lednfKxdv9QegLeVjFHW2xmnVwOsUgmU8/edit?usp=sharing Director/Operations Update] - Kate
Line 11: Line 80:
 
** [https://www.owasp.org/index.php/October_2016_Membership_Report October 2016 Membership Report] - Kelly Santalucia
 
** [https://www.owasp.org/index.php/October_2016_Membership_Report October 2016 Membership Report] - Kelly Santalucia
  
==Extra points==
+
==Old Business==
 +
 
 +
All active board proposals are listed [https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxSfMVkfLvslVXdvUFV3NkxucWc&usp=sharing here]
 +
 
 +
* Motion to approve changes to FY17 membership rates  (Andrew)
 +
::- https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1RBy7yRl-qVo49lDL1JeKmhwLElcazrJ7tY4OO5Wwb6U/edit?usp=sharing
 +
 
 +
==New Business==
 +
 
 
** [http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2016-October/017563.html Request for 150K USD seed fund for the OWASP-DevSecCon Summit in April 2017 in the UK]
 
** [http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2016-October/017563.html Request for 150K USD seed fund for the OWASP-DevSecCon Summit in April 2017 in the UK]
 
We are gathering a team with ample experience in organizing owasp (and other) events, including the last 2 owasp summits.<br>
 
We are gathering a team with ample experience in organizing owasp (and other) events, including the last 2 owasp summits.<br>
Line 25: Line 102:
 
I count on your (and the complete board) to support this new summit.<br>
 
I count on your (and the complete board) to support this new summit.<br>
 
Seba & Dinis
 
Seba & Dinis
 +
 +
 +
 +
== Action Items==
 +
 +
 +
==Announcements==
 +
TBA
 +
 +
==Adjournment==
 +
*Next meeting date/time: [https://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=November_9,_2016 November 9 2016 1500-1630 PST] [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2016&month=11&day=09&hour=23&min=0&sec=0&p1=224&p2=24&p3=263&p4=78&p5=37&p6=102&p7=152 TimeZone Converter ]
 +
 +
==Motion to close meeting==
 +
 +
 +
Agenda
 +
 +
 +
 +
 +
 +
==Extra points==

Revision as of 08:48, 8 November 2016

Time

Location

Teleconference Information:

https://www3.gotomeeting.com/join/861328838

International Toll Free Calling Information

Attendance Tracker

Board Meeting Attendance Tracker

Notice of Recording

  • Notice to all attendees - board meetings are recorded and publicly available as of March, 2013
  • Joining the call acknowledges your awareness of recording and consent to be recorded and public dissemination of the recording.

Meeting Minutes

- September meeting minutes

Reading Material

It is a requirement as a board member to fully read all material prior to the start of the meeting

  • Financial statement
- Analysis by Tom Pappas on YTD to September 30, 2016
- September financial package

Meeting Agenda

Call to Order /OWASP Mission

  • Administrative: List of attendees and Agenda bashing (only if last-minute changes to the agenda are needed) (5 min)

Reports

Chair's Report - Matt Konda

Vice Chair's Report - Josh Sokol

TBA

Treasurer Report - Andrew van der Stock

  • Financial statement
- Analysis by Tom Pappas on YTD to September 30, 2016
- September financial package

Based on this information, we are likely to have a reasonable year as long as income is realized in the FY16 financial year. We were looking at about a $150k loss for FY16, and it's currently looking at around $30k loss, which might even improve on that depending on the final training, sponsorship and ticket sales of AppSec USA, and getting on top of our aged receivables, which I believe is a prioritization thing rather than structural.

I am due to meet Tom Pappas on Tuesday during the day. If you want to be a part of the FY 17 budget, please come along - I welcome both existing Board and Board candidates to this discussion. As we are likely to have a near non-profit year, I will be holding the line on unbudgeted expenses if I am re-elected and if the Board will continue to have me as treasurer in 2017. For those Board members with a big project or initiative NOW is the time to get your initiative funded or wait until 2018.

Chapter funds continue to increase. As previously agreed in December 2015's board meeting, I will be sweeping unbudgeted funds from chapters in December 2016. This should become an annual activity to encourage proper financial planning by our larger chapters. I continue to encourage chapter leaders to come up with a plan that is strategically helpful to OWASP's core mission rather than just gold plating their chapter, such as outreach, funding scholarships at Universities, holding a local or regional events, encouraging their members to join and fund on projects of interest to that chapter, and so on. Chapters with a balance of over $5k should present a budget and plan for their funds by December 1. I will personally reach out to these 20-30 affected chapters during October, but would love interested Board members to also help in this process.

Depending on our profitability and end of year bank balance, I am leaning towards a hire of the ED in the early part of 2017. We should be strategic about this role - I personally feel the lack of a financially savvy ED has held us back in 2016, which is reflected in our likely near loss if not zero profit for FY16, especially when considering the financial success of FY15. I encourage the Board to be on the look out for an ED candidate who has strong non-profit financial management, grant writing, and fund raising experience to help us jump to the next level.

Lastly, I will be talking about changes we need to make to bring us into line with good practice at Charity Navigator. We have hit the benchmark lower limit, and FY17 is an audit year for 2016, which will appear in Charity Navigator. If we wish to receive funds from various grant making organisations, we need to strongly align with these good practices, some of which are very simple, some of which are less so. The main one is to make sure it is ultra clear to anyone that our spend on mission is > 80% of our expenses. I will be discussing this with Tom Pappas on Tuesday, as it probably means that we need to make sure that staff costs are allocated to budgets, or demonstrably so. I think we can easily make these benchmarks depending on our financial treatment of expenses.

Secretary Report -Tobias Gondrom

Nothing to report

Updated from Members at Large - Tom Brennan, Michael Coates, and Tobias Gondrom

  • Coates - Chapters

TBA

  • Carter - Governance

TBA

  • Brennan - Projects

- Website

Staff Reports

Staff Reports

Old Business

All active board proposals are listed here

  • Motion to approve changes to FY17 membership rates (Andrew)
- https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1RBy7yRl-qVo49lDL1JeKmhwLElcazrJ7tY4OO5Wwb6U/edit?usp=sharing

New Business

We are gathering a team with ample experience in organizing owasp (and other) events, including the last 2 owasp summits.
By focusing on the content and outcome objectives we are creating the necessary momentum for this summit.
In parallel we are putting in motion the logistics for this summit (venue, catering, sponsoring, ...)

We will definitely try to make this a "budget-neutral" event, by:
1) having people cover their participation themselves
2) having sponsors that cover part of the costs
3) tapping into the under-used chapter and project funds

At this stage we want to be sure to have the support from the board & staff and have a "seed-fund" of 150K USD.
I count on your (and the complete board) to support this new summit.
Seba & Dinis


Action Items

Announcements

TBA

Adjournment

Motion to close meeting

Agenda



Extra points