LAST UPDATE 16-JUL-2011
2011 OWASP International Board of Directors Election
The OWASP Foundation was established in 2001 as an open community and software security resource. Since then, OWASP has grown to be globally recognized as a credible source for application security standards (see industry citations). Individuals typically find OWASP when searching the internet for information about software security - and they are happy to find a reliable source of knowledge built by an extremely open and passionate community. OWASP is open to anyone. Anyone can attend OWASP's vendor agnostic local chapter meetings, participate in regional and global conferences, and contribute to the many OWASP projects. And anyone can start a new project, form a new chapter, or lend their expertise to help an OWASP Global Committee.
The OWASP Foundation Board of Directors consists of six elected volunteers. These unpaid volunteers dedicate themselves to the organizational mission, supporting the OWASP Global Committees and playing a pivotal role in the software security community. OWASP conducts democratic elections of its Board Members and Committee Chairs to enable bottom-up advancement of its mission. Each year, half of the Board seats, and all of the Committee Chair seats, are up for election by the then-current registered members.
Learn about OWASP
Watch a current video about OWASP:
- Click here to watch an interview with Jeff Williams, OWASP Board Member & Chair 2004-Current
- Click here to watch an interview with Tom Brennan, OWASP Board Member 2007-Current
Or to see OWASP from the beginning, visit the WayBack Machine.
OWASP Foundation Bylaws
2011 Candidate Interviews
2011 Candidates / Contributions and Accomplishments
* Christian Heinrich - BIO & why vote for me? - NEW Candidate
* Dave Wichers - BIO & why vote for me? - Re-Election / Vote of Confidence
* Michael Coates - BIO - Why Vote For Me? - NEW Candidate
* Sebastien Deleersnyder - BIO & why vote for me? - Re-Election / Vote of Confidence
2009 Election Results (how this process worked last time)
Who Can Vote?
Who are the OWASP Members?
Are you on the active member list? Check Here
For the election all registered voters will get a confirmation email the week of 18-July-2011 (*NEW Members* Join before 30-June-2011 if you want to vote) The election is scheduled via electronic ballot to be sent out to the membership on 8-August-2011.
FAQ - OWASP Honorary Member
I’m an active (chapter leader, project leader, committee member). Does that mean I’m an member and get to vote? No. During the 2009 election, OWASP Honorary Memberships were granted to all historical chapter leaders, project leaders and committee members, but those honorary memberships have expired. We ask that you please become an OWASP Individual Member Join Here to support OWASP. Alternately, you may also request a new OWASP Honorary Membership by submitting the following form CLICK HERE with a description of your recent activities in support of OWASP. We thank you for your ongoing support of OWASP and we require this for being able to track these requests from individuals around the world.
Have additional questions about OWASP Membership? Read the FAQ CLICK HERE
International Board of Directors Primary Responsibilities
Seated members of the Board of Directors attend and contribute to monthly meetings. See Archive. Additionally, they:
- Create and review a statement of mission and purpose that articulates the organization's goals, means, and primary constituents served globally. They then support that mission and purpose.
- Select the Director(s) and employees. The Board must reach consensus on the Director responsibilities and undertake a careful search to find the most qualified individual for the position.
- Support and evaluate all employees. The Board should ensure that the employees have the moral and professional support needed to further the goals of the organization.
- Ensure effective planning. The Board must actively participate in the overall planning process for the organization and assist in implementing and monitoring the organization's goals.
- Monitor and strengthen programs and services. The Board's responsibility is to determine which programs are consistent with the organization's mission and monitor their effectiveness.
- Ensure adequate financial resources. One of the Board's foremost responsibilities is to secure adequate resources for the organization to fulfill its mission.
- Protect assets and provide proper financial oversight. The Board must assist in developing the annual budget and ensuring that proper financial controls are in place.
- Build a competent Board. The Board has a responsibility to articulate prerequisites for candidates, orient new members, and periodically and comprehensively evaluate their own performance.
- Ensure legal and ethical integrity. The Board is ultimately responsible for adherence to legal standards and ethical norms.
- Enhance the organization's public standing. The Board should clearly articulate the organization's mission, accomplishments, and goals to the public and garner support from the community.
OWASP International Board of Directors - 2011 Election Timeline (Scratchpad)
Milestone #1 Confirmed Candidate Official Announcement will be announced on 9-June-2011 at Global AppSec Europe in Dublin, Ireland. Candidates should declare their candidacy by 8-June-2011 by logging into the wiki, editing the wiki by inserting their name, and linking to their user profile that shall have a WHY ME summary of how they plan to help the OWASP Foundation and what they have done in OWASP to be considered an accomplished and proven leader in the community.
Milestone #2 Review of Candidates eligibility requirements (they must be registered and active member in good standing).
Status: Completed 9-June-2011
Milestone #3 Communicate to OWASP-ALL about (1) election eligibility requirement of a current membership/Organizational Supporter relationship as of 30-June-2011, (2) eligible candidates, and (3) bylaws.
Milestone #4 Publish the interviews to this page of questions submitted by community
Status: Completed - Adam Baso 16-Jul
Milestone #5 Load the electronic election system and alert eligible voters
Status: In Progress Week of 18th - Dan Cornell
Milestone #6 Electronic Vote (email) managed by the Global Membership Committee to take place the week of 8-August-2011. Electronic voting open for ten (10) working days. Ballot notification to be issued to primary address of record for current members as of 30-June-2011.
Status: Not Started
Milestone #7 Announce new Board of Directors to OWASP-ALL - have quorum board meeting and welcome meting at AppSecUSA
Status: In Progress - Kate Hartmann