I've Been Hacked-What Now
Revision as of 12:30, 5 January 2010 by Caughron
- 1 My server has been hacked...what do I do now?
My server has been hacked...what do I do now?
This page will offer suggestions and resources for identifying and eliminating threats to your web servers/applications after a suspected attack.
Anyone interested in contributing is welcome.
- Incident identification/notification may occur from a number of information sources (events):
- Staff reporting unusual activity
- Staff, clients or public reporting a problem
- Technical teams/support discovering evidence of an incident on systems.
- Alerts from IDS, security monitoring systems or anti-virus software, Firewalls or WAFS.
- A Security incident owner must be assigned.
- A point of contact must be available to respond to incidents at all times.
- A security incident owner must track the security incident to remediation and resolution.
- Examples of an incident:
- Virus/malware infection
- Unauthorized system changes
- Unauthorized application/web site changes
- Unauthorized disclosure of client information or information leakage
- Theft or loss of company information/assets
- Examples of an event:
- Reports from intrusion detection system/WAF/Firewall or log scraping system
- Reports from vulnerability scanning/traffic monitoring/performance monitoring
Incident severity :
- Events that cannot be 100% identified as attacks and have no effect on operations;
- False activation of intrusion detection systems, WAF alerts etc
- Non-repeated scans or probing from an external uncontrolled network
- Incidents that have no negative impact on operations. Incidents identified but unsuccessful in an attempt to actively breach information security controls from external or internal standpoint
- Repeated active probing or parameter manipulation from an external or internal source.
- Malware/rogue code/virus that has been successfully contained or removed
- Incidents that have major impact to operations or corporate branding
- Evidence of insider threat with identified motivation by salaried employees or contractors
Event Correlation and Aggregation (Streamlining)
- Cheat Sheet for Server Admin.
- Checking Microsoft Windows® Systems for Signs of Compromise
- SECURITY INCIDENT QUESTIONNAIRE FOR RESPONDERS
- SAN's SysAdmin Cheat Sheet
Questions to Ask
- Was card data compromised?
- Do you need professional legal advice?