Global Membership Committee Meeting Notes March 20, 2012
Membership Committee Monthly Call Date: March 20, 2012
Time: 12 noon EST
Location: 1. Please join my meeting, Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time. https://www3.gotomeeting.com/join/519737486
2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.
Australia: +61 (0) 2 8014 4934 Austria: +43 (0) 7 2088 1399 Belgium: +32 (0) 38 08 1855 Canada: +1 (416) 900-1164 Denmark: +45 (0) 69 91 88 61 Finland: +358 (0) 942 41 5777 France: +33 (0) 182 880 455 Germany: +49 (0) 898 7806 6460 Ireland: +353 (0) 14 845 975 Italy: +39 0 699 36 98 80 Netherlands: +31 (0) 708 912 514 New Zealand: +64 (0) 9 909 7882 Norway: +47 21 03 58 95 Spain: +34 931 81 6668 Sweden: +46 (0) 852 503 498 Switzerland: +41 (0) 435 0167 07 United Kingdom: +44 (0) 203 535 0622 United States: +1 (786) 358-5411
Access Code: 519-737-486 Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting
Meeting ID: 519-737-486
1. Will Bechtel from Qualys Award Proposal
- What is the Issue / Goal:
1.Recognize unsung heros of Web Application Security 2.OWASP Awards (Web Application Security Person of the Year) 3. Award - statue like oscars but with the WASP, write up on OWASP website and referenced on Qualys website as well 4. Selection Criteria: work or involvement in web application security, local involvement. Not a nationally recognized personality. 5. Chapters elect local winners during summer months. We provide rules (selection criteria, etc) for chapters to conduct vote. After all chapters have selected winners (by a cut-off date) OWASP board reviews criteria and chapter winners and pick 5 chapter winners as national finalists. Finalists invited to OWASP Annual Conference in Austin. Membership attending conference vote for National winner. All finalists get iPad. Winner gets something extra and big feature on website and large OWASP award.
- Dan is concerned how much support we would get from the local chapters. It was a challenge last year at AppSecUSA 2011 in MN when Kate tried to do the sort of the same thing last year.
- Kate says that there was not much participation last year. She went to the committee chairs for nominees. Kate questions "why are doing this with Qualys" She expressed she is not comfortable doing a member of the year award with a corporate supporter. If it was just OWASP involved, she is all for it, but not if a corporate supporter is driving it.
- Kelly - Qualys just thinks it is a good idea to do.
- Kate - agrees and is into giving out awards, just opposed to it being given out by a corporate supporter. If it is foundation driven she is behind it 100%.
- Helen - If it is a good idea it does not matter where it is driven from exterior or interior. She thinks their part is to provide the sponsorship.
- Kelly - This is all the information I have and as soon as I have more information I will be sure to pass it along to the GMC. We can wait on this until more information is available from Will.
- GMC - agrees to wait for more specifics on the proposal
Linkedin Currently OWASP has a Linkedin group that was created years ago and its free and open. Recently Michael Coates proposed a member only subgroup.
- Dan - believes it looks like a badge that goes on a current member of OWASP's profile in Linkedin. There is no secret discussion in regards to this group. All content must be available to everyone in and outside the group.
- Helen - What value does it add?
- Dan - just a badge on your linkedin page
- Helen - does it create any technical issues
- Kelly - is fine with keeping track of this and will work with Michael on the process. Expiring members might be an issue but I can work with Michael on it.
- Ofer - as long as it does not come instead of what we have now. If it does come instead of what we have now it would not be good. We could use any publicity we can get.
- Kelly - Believes Michael referred it to the same thing as a membership card only digital
- Helen - We should spread OWASP and give as many perks as we can. It is very tricky and is a little concerned with the honorary membership.
- Gandhai- what if someone is not a member but wants to be included in subgroup as a supporter not a paid member?
- Helen - defines a supporter to: voting rights, membership...anyone who has supported, chapter leader, project leader. Members defined to voting rights and money.
- Kelly - keep it the same as a membership card. We are not keeping anything from anyone, just a replacement for the card.