Global Industry Committee Governance
*** THESE POLICIES ARE CURRENTLY OPEN FOR COMMENT AND WILL NOT TAKE EFFECT UNTIL FINAL GIC APPROVAL***
The Global Industry Committee was created during the OWASP EU Summit in Portugal. The OWASP Global Industry Committee (GIC) shall expand awareness of and promote the inclusion of software security best practices in Industry, Government, Academia and regulatory agencies and be a voice for industry. This will be accomplished through outreach; including presentations, development of position papers and collaborative efforts with other entities.
The Global Industry Committee shall be comprised of representatives as nominated by the OWASP membership in compliance with the process at the How to join a Committee page. Once a Member has been nominated to the committee, the current members shall vote on that Member’s application.
- Note that to prevent conflict of interest, Board members cannot endorse candidates for any committee nor can a committee member endorse a candidate for their own committee. Committee members may endorse candidates for other committees to which they do not belong.
- Committee members who wish to transfer between committees, should discuss this with their current committee first. They must begin a new application for the committee they want to move to. Individuals are welcome to participate in whatever committee they prefer, but may only be officially elected to serve on one committee.
The GIC Members shall elect a Chair to serve a term of 12 months at the first meeting each calendar year.
- Members are responsible for attending at least 75% of the regular scheduled meetings.
- Members are responsible for voting
- Attend or send a GIC Representative to all OWASP Board Meetings
- Attend or send a GIC Representative to all OWASP Committee Chair Meetings
- Schedule and conduct GIC Regular Meetings
- Manage GIC Budget
- Provide GIC meeting minutes
A regular meeting of the OWASP Global Industry Committee shall be held at least quarterly in each calendar year. Meetings will be scheduled based on the availability of the majority of the members and may be conducted in person and/or virtually. Additional regular meetings may be called by the GIC Chair. Meetings shall be scheduled at least one week in advance and will be open for any OWASP Member to attend.
A majority of the number of GIC Members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of GIC business. If quorum is not established, the chair may adjourn the meeting.
Minutes of the meeting shall be recorded by the chair, or their designee and made available to all OWASP members
Any GIC Member can request a vote on an action. Any action taken by the GIC shall be decided by the majority (50% + 1) of the GIC Members. Voting will generally occur during regular meetings, however any votes recorded via email shall be open for 24 hours or until a majority has been established.
Conflict of Interest
No GIC member shall be permitted to vote on matters involving an event they are organizing, their home chapter, or any self identified matter where the objectivity of the member may be in question. Any conflict of interest shall be entered into the minutes.
Removal from Committee
A committee Member may be removed when
- The Member participates in less than 50% of regular meetings in a calendar year
- The Member does not participate in any regular meetings in a 90 day period without providing prior notice to the chair
- A motion for removal is approved via a unanimous vote of the other committee Members
The Chair may be removed at any time by a majority vote of the other committee members. A new temporary chair shall immediately be elected to complete the term of the outgoing chair.
From time to time, committee members may travel on behalf of the committee and at the expense of the OWASP Foundation. Any such travel shall first be approved by the Chair, availability of funds confirmed, and notification of travel be provided to the other committee Members. In the event that the Chair denies the request, or is unavailable, travel may be approved by concurrence of any two GIC members (non-inclusive of the traveling member) so long as funds are available.
Upon return, the traveling Member shall submit an expense report to the Chair with receipts for any
- Transportation (Airfare, POV, Train, Bus ect)
- POV will be reimbursed at $.50 a mile
- Lodging (Room Charges, Taxes and Fees)
- Meals/Incidental Expenses
Transportation and Lodging expenses will be reimbursed at the rate of actual expenses incurred. Meals/Incidental expenses shall be reimbursed on actual expenditures with a daily cap as defined by the US General Services Administration (http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/100120) or US Department of State Per Diem Rate (http://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_diem.asp) for the destination.