Global Chapter Committee/Meetings/May 2011
Revision as of 05:58, 19 May 2011 by Sarah Baso
- 1 Global Chapters Committee monthly meeting May 2011
- 1.1 Meeting Information
- 1.2 Roll Call
- 1.3 Agenda
- 1.4 Minutes
Global Chapters Committee monthly meeting May 2011
- 9-May-2011, 19h00 UTC, Bridge Line: 1-866-645-3167 OR 816-423-4241, Participant Code: 8656478
- 10-May-2011, 14h00 UTC, Bridge Line: 1-866-534-4754, Code: "OWASP" (69277), Skype sarah.baso to connect to US bridge line
- Tin Zaw (TZ) 9-May & 10-May
- Kate Hartmann (KH) 10-May
- Seba Deleersnyder (SD) 9-May
- Mandeep Khera (MK) 9-May
- Sarah Baso (SB) 9-May & 10-May
- L. Gustavo C. Barbato (GB) 10-May
- Andrew van der Stock (AV) 10-May
- Puneet Mehta (PM)
- Matthew Chalmers (MC)
- Updates from the Board (if any, by Kate)
- OWASP On The Move Updates
- European Leader Workshop Updates
- Chapter Leader Handbook Updates
- Inactive Chapter Updates (by Sarah)
- European Foundation
- Anything else?
Monday, 9 May
Updates from the April Board Meeting
- 100% of committee budgets have been approved
- Matt Tesauro’s document on how to do budgeting – please take time to read through and follow up via email for discussion so we can provide feedback to board by next meeting
Updates from Sarah
- Sarah set up Google form for chapter requests - when chapter committee funds are requested (if chapter doesn't have enough money to cover request) & if less than $300 (including shipping) than run by Tin for approval, if more then committee vote. Once EU Foundation is set up with UPS shipping acct we will try to keep shipping for EU within EU to mitigate costs.
- Inactive chapter/cleanup
- Sarah has been emailing chapter leaders if the chapter appears to be inactive (no wiki updates or posts to mailing list in over 6 months). This appearance of inactivity will not determine who is "inactive" but more a starting point for follow up/check in with the chapter.
- Sarah is creating a spreadsheet of chapter metrics and data collected from contacting chapter and will share with committee by June meetings.
- Many chapters/chapter leaders seem to be struggling to keep their wiki page updated with current meetings/data, we need to think about/discuss an easier option for updating wiki.
- Sarah is working on reorg of chapter committee page - by geographic region and should have done by end of week. She will send out an email to the committee when this is complete and solicit committee feedback.
Chapters Workshops Global AppSec Conferences
- Seba set up a tab on the AppSec EU 2011 wiki page with details and to track who is attending.
- The session will be from 14:30-18:00.
- Discussion points include: How to improve the current Chapter Leader Handbook, How to start new chapters within Europe, How to support inactive chapters within Europe, What Governance model is required for OWASP chapters, and How can the global chapters committee facilitate the European chapters?
- Currently the chapter committee is funding attendance at appsec eu for Konstantinos Papapanagiotou (chapter leader from Greece) and possibly a chapter leader from Spain. Seba will follow up with committee if funding approval is needed for Spain chapter leader.
- Chapter Workshop at AppSec USA
- To occur the day before the conference starts (Wednesday, Sept. 21) from 12:00 noon to 3:30pm.
- Committee to provide lunch for attendees and then be done in time for 5/10K run occurring at AppSec USA at 4pm.
- Process for requesting/awarding funds to attend conference - Tin will send out an email to all the chapter leaders letting them know about the workshop, then follow up individually letting them know that if for one reason or another they want to attend but don't have chapter funds to cover, the GCC can possibly help.
- Process/details for chapter workshop at AppSec Brasil and AppSec China to be determined at a later date.
- Chapter workshops also may be a good opportunity to solicit new glboal chapter committee members.
OWASP European Foundation
- Currently both Norway and France OWASP chapters have their own legal structure set up.
- Seba requested a board vote (currently in progress): whether board members in principle support the startup of a European OWASP Foundation. The goal is to have the new foundation up and running by AppSec EU.
- Benefits include:
- Ease of payments (IBAN-BIC numbers) within the Euro zone (less accounting overhead, less exchange rate risk exposure, no paypal fees, faster cash-in)
- OWASP deducting / avoiding VAT in the EU (savings on chapter/conferences/summit costs)
- EU people possibly being able to tax-deduct donations to an EU non-profit entity (extra revenue)
- Being able to create EU standard invoices in Euro's (less accounting overhead, faster cash-in)
- Potentially tap into EU/governmental budgets (extra revenue)
- Less hassle to hire EU employees/contractors (less overhead, better social protection for employees)
- Providing a governance umbrella for EU chapters/events
- Seba to initiate EU legal entity in Belgium
- Bookkeeping can be primarily done by Alison - we can set up Alison with an EU software package to create and follow-up on EU invoices/ costs.
- TZ - Who will sign the checks for the new foundation? Seba - mostly likely the European Board consisting of Eoin, Seba, and Tom
OWASP On the Move
- Seba updated OWASP on the move page.
- Sarah set up a google doc for editing/comments to the Chapter Handbook. She will resend link to committee members.
- "How to start a chapter" link should appear on wiki home page (similar to "how to start a project")
Tuesday, 10 May
- Reviewed meeting notes from Monday's call (above)
- In addition to the OWASP European Foundation, need to look into OWASP Brazil, Australia, and Asia foundations. This is part of OWASP's "3 year plan" and need to wait to see hoe the set up for the European Foundation goes and then will move forward with others if goes according to plan.
- Short term solution for handling international funds/foundation issues - hire a conference planning company who can help handle finances and these international foundation issues (tax benefits, etc).
|1||Review/Comment on MT's "How to Budget" document||All Committee Members||By June 6 board meeting|
|2||Follow up and report to committee on inactive chapters||Sarah Baso||June GCC meeting|
|3||Reorg of local chapter home page||Sarah Baso||ASAP||"YES"|
|4||Outreach for starting college chapter(s) in Bay Area, specifically Stanford||Mandeep|
|5||Outreach for starting college chapter(s) at UCLA, Cal State Pomona, and possibly others in LA area.||Tin|
|6||Speak with chapter leader to serve as their local liaison for college chapter in Charlotte, NC||Tin|
|7||Outreach for starting college chapter(s) in Belgium||Seba|
|8||Email LatAm Leaders regarding starting college chapter(s) in their area and serving as local liaisons||L. Gustavo|
|9||Email Martin and Dan re: college chapter start-up|
|10||Modify OWASP on the Move wiki page to provide clarity to purpose and guidelines||Seba||May Chapter Committee Meeting||Done|
|11||Follow up with MC regarding status of Chapter Handbook, then break up the Handbook into small sections to be delegated to committee members||Tin|
|12||Set up a Google doc for working on the Chapter Handbook||Sarah Baso||Done 4/18|
|13||Coordinate chapter leader meet-up/working session at AppSec EU||Seba||Done 4/22|
|14||Look into setting up an OWASP Foundation in Brazil to handle Brazilian chapter & conference Funds||Sarah Baso|
|15||Post March Chapter Committee Meeting Minutes||Sarah Baso||Done|
|16||Post April Chapter Committee Meeting Minutes||Sarah Baso||Done|