|Join hundreds of other Developers and InfoSec professionals for Training, Sessions and Community at our first conference of 2019|
[AppSec Tel Aviv, May 26-30th]
The purpose of this page is to outline how OWASP Community Members can request funding to support the mission of OWASP. If you can't find what you are looking for, please Contact Us.
Please note: There has been a change in how OWASP managed our Reimbursement process. Now Reimbursements are sent out twice a month, on or before the 15th of the month and on or before the last day of the month. Reimbursements must be approved at least 24 hrs before they are scheduled to go out to be expected in either batch.
Community Engagement Funding
Successful global outreach and community support are critical activities that support our purpose of driving visibility and evolution of safety and security of the worlds software. To this end, some guidelines have been established for the OWASP community leadership to follow as they support the OWASP Foundation and it’s core purpose.
- Note: this is an expansion of the OWASP on the Move Program
- If you would like help with funding for an activity that fits the spirit of community engagement, but is not specifically outlined below - please feel free to email us for clarification.
- Payments are tracked online
Be sure to read the full process below to ensure a smooth and timely transaction.
- Ready to make a request? REQUEST FUNDING HERE
- Already approved? Submit receipts for reimbursement with our REIMBURSEMENT REQUEST FORM
- Reimbursements are processed twice a month: on or before the 15th of the month and on or before the last day of the month.
Types of Activity Supported
The Board of Directors approved a motion at the October 14, 2015 board meeting that any request for funding that has been approved for one chapter or project, can be considered an acceptable expense for all chapters or projects. If you have an account balance which covers that expense in full, then the item should be considered pre-approved for spending. Please view below acceptable expense categories and view 2017 Community Engagement Payments for a list of previously approved expenses. If you do not see a comparable expense or expense category or aren't sure your expense is pre-approved, you must submit a request for approval via the Contact Us form before requesting reimbursement.
|Category||Type of Event or Activity||Funding Purpose||Funding Limit|
|Initiatives||Starting/Facilitating an OWASP Initiative||An OWASP Initiative is a specific task with a defined deliverable or expected outcome. An initiative can also be a group of people (task force) with a specific function. Funding request should include the details of the initiative and what the money will be spent on.||$500 USD|
|Chapters||Local Chapter Meeting|| Bringing great speakers to local chapters continues to be a priority of the organization. Although there are opportunities for remote participation and speakers, face to face contact and engagement is a catalyst to inject enthusiasm and energy into a local area.
Note: If you're looking for OWASP merchandise for chapters you can submit on the merchandise page
|Chapters||Multiple Chapter Meeting Engagement||Through coordination of several local chapters, it is possible to ignite an entire geographic region through a series of presentations at several local chapters in a relatively short period of time.||$1000 USD|
|Outreach||Outreach Speaking Engagement (Non OWASP Conference)||Presenting an introduction to OWASP at events that are attended by professionals who will benefit from awareness of software security builds our global community and spreads security awareness.||$500 USD|
|Outreach||Non - OWASP Event Outreach (OWASP Representation usually a booth or stand)||Physical representation of the OWASP Foundation at conferences managed by other organizations provides opportunities to engage individuals and companies through visual, tangible, and verbal communication. This also included funding for merchandise to support the booth.||$500 USD|
|Project||OWASP Track or Summit||Project Leader that is an accepted speaker taking part in the Open Source Showcase, the OWASP Project Talks, or leading an OWASP Summit Session at the conference they are asking to attend with OWASP Track funding. Preference given to Leaders traveling from the same region that the Global AppSec Conference is taking place in.||$1000 USD|
|Project||Project Engagement Funding||Funding for marketing, graphic design, website hosting, or other project related expenses. Details||$500 USD|
|Chapter/Project/Outreach/Initiative||Merchandise||OWASP branded merchandise used to promote OWASP through a booth at a non-owasp event, chapter meeting, or other community building opportunity||$500 USD|
Community Engagement Funding Rules
The following rules apply for community engagement funding:
- All funding requests MUST be pre-approved, this is necessary for global budgeting. The funding thresholds have been established based on historic request amounts.
- Primary funding would be deducted from the local chapter budget (if the activity is supporting the local chapter).
- A chapter without sufficient funds (or initiative not tied to the chapter) may request funding from the foundation "Community Engagement" fund. These funds are available on a first come-first serve basis.
- The standard funding thresholds are listed above based on the type of activity.
- In special circumstances the maximum amount per event can be raised to a maximum of $1000 USD.
- There is a proposed limit of 2,000 USD on the amount of $ provided to any individual per year (*see 'further funding' below)
- There is a proposed limit of 2,000 USD on the amount of $ provided to any chapter per year (*see 'further funding' below)
- A chapter/initiative can use the sponsorship 4 times a year, with a maximum of 2 speakers sponsored by the Community Engagement Fund for one single event.
- Further funding: for active chapters or speakers who have reach the proposed financial limits, further funding is possible but will depend on available budget, since priority would be given to chapters below these thresholds.
- Community Engagement funds are not to be used by speakers to attend OWASP conferences. If assistance is needed to attend a conference, contact the conference chair.
The way it works is really easy.
- Upfront the chapter leader, speaker, or person leading the initiative submits a community engagement request (event details, who to cover, etc...) REQUEST FUNDING HERE The request will be reviewed by the OWASP Staff. If the request is within the rules (see above) it will be rapidly approved.
- The speaker who made the travel/lodging expenses, or the chapter leader who paid for meeting space, food or supplies, submits a reimbursement request, including receipts, after the presentation is performed. Chapter leaders may also use this form to request direct payment to vendors (with prior approval) by supplying a copy of the invoice and payee details. Note: Travel can also be booked through the Foundation's travel management system.
- If the funds required to support the event exceed the documented threshold, then a request should be submitted for the entire anticipated amount.
- The Reimbursement is approved and processed.
View 2016 Community Engagement Payments (includes Pending payments)
Your Chapter/Project Balances:
- Donation Scoreboard
- Chapter Transactions - US (Amounts shown in USD)
- Chapter Transactions - EU (Amounts shown in Euros)
- Project Transactions - US (Amount shown in USD)
- Project Transactions - EU (Amount shown in Euros)
Funding Request Form (to request funding approval)
Reimbursement Request Form (to submit receipts for reimbursement)