How to create Javadocs for ESAPI using Eclipse v3.4
First off, notice a folder called "javadoc resources" in the root directory of your ESAPI project. This folder contains images referenced from the Javadoc as well as overview-summary.html, which is the title page for the ESAPI Javadoc. The instructions below make reference to these files.
To Generate Javadocs
- Be sure you are in the Java EE perspective. To change your perspective, click the Window button on the main toolbar. Then click Open Perspective and choose Java EE. If Java EE is not in the list, select Other.. and find Java EE. If Java EE is not in the list under Other, you may need to download Eclipse Ganymede (v3.4) for Java EE developers. Javadoc creation functionality may be built into your version of Eclipse, but that has not been tested.
- Then, click the Project button on the main toolbar. Select Generate Javadoc...
- Choose the Javadoc command to use. This should point to javadoc.exe within your j2sdk bin directory, as shown in figure 1.
- Select the ESAPI source, but not the test files within your ESAPI project, as shown in figure 1.
- You should create Javadoc for members with visibility: Public, as shown in figure 1.
- Select the Javadoc output directory. This will likely be /doc under your ESAPI project folder.
- Click Next.
- Designate a title for this Javadoc. Generally, this should be "OWASP Enterprise Security API (ESAPI)".
- Under Basic Options, all checkboxes should be selected, as shown in Figure 2.
- Javadocs for referenced archives should not be generated, as shown in Figure 2.
- Generally, no style sheet should be used, as shown in Figure 2.
- Click Next.
- The Overview page must be selected, as shown in Figure 3. It should point to overview-summary.html in the javadoc resources folder.
- The JRE source compatibility should be selected as 1.4, as shown in Figure 3.
- Lastly, if it isn't already there, copy the folder "doc-files" from "javadoc resources" to org/owasp/esapi within your new javadoc directory.
Your Javadoc should now be generated and output to the directory you chose earlier!