Chapter Leader Handbook (OLD)
Chapter Leader Handbook
This handbook aims to guide new and experienced chpater leaders in leading an active chapter community.
How to Generate Interest
- Hook up with local information security organizations, such as ISACA and ISSA.
- Set up and maintain an individual mailing list te send out targetted chapter invitations. These direct mails tend to generate more response than a mail to the local OWASP mailing list.
Sample Action Plan to (re)start your Chapter
An action plan that you can use is:
- find sponsor for first meeting.
- as agenda you’ll have to go for an OWASP introduction and get one or more speakers that explain the web application security problem in a general way to attract a large crowd.
- try to compile a list of people (and their e-mail) you think would be interested in the topic
- send out the invitation and also try to let other local security organizations to announce the meeting as well. These can be local ISSA or ISACA chapters.
- try to get some local press attention
- hook up with government and academic contacts in your area to relay the invitation and generate some interest.
- find out what companies are active in this domain in your area in order to raise their interest and support.
- network, network, network, …
- The invitation should contain a request to forward it to other interested parties.
- be sure to send out this invitation at least one month before the meeting
How much Meetings should be Organized yearly?
This depends on the activity level of the local OWASP members. There should be minimum 4 events per year.
Chapter Meeting Check List
The following checklist should aid you in organizing individual chapter meetings:
- Set appropriate date and timing
- Speakers and topics
- Location and sponsor for the meeting
- Create invitation text on chapter page
- Add chapter meeting to news list on OWASP home page
- Send mail to Andrew to list in the next monthly mailing
- Send invitation to the local OWASP mailing list
- Send invitation 3 weeks prior to meeting to local contact list
- Send reminder 5 days prior to meeting to local contact list and the OWASP mailing list
Chapter Meeting Template
This template you can use on your chapter page for listing chapter meeting details:
Fill in date and timing
Fill in place
- 18h00 - 18h30: Welcome, get drink & sandwiches?
- 18h20 - 18h40: Fill in
- 18h45 – 19h00: Fill in
- 19h00 - 19h55: Fill in
Presentation + Discussion?
- 20h05 - 21h00: Fill in
Presentation + Discussion?
Frequently Asked Questions
- I am chapter leader and I am facing the problem of not knowing the list of members, if any, who have joined my chapter.
And can you advise how I can stay updated about this?
You can get the membership for your chapter from the administrative interface for your mailing list. If you've forgotten your password, please contact Larry Casey (firstname.lastname@example.org) to reset it for you.
- I seem to have forgotten the list admin passwd
- How is a chapter funded from the membership fees?
- Does enrollment to the mailing list mean official membership to OWASP?
- How do I update my OWASP Chapter page?