Chapter Handbook/Chapter 3: How to Start a Chapter
Starting and restarting a chapter
An OWASP local chapter organizes OWASP activity in a given geographical area. A request to start or restart a new chapter should be submitted by a person of a group to the OWASP board and should include:
- The geographical area to be covered by the new chapter.
The geographical area should not
- Recommendation by 5 current OWASP leaders - This requirement can be waived by the board, especially if the chapter is started in a remote area in which OWASP currently has no activity.
- Recommendation by 5 people who practice information security in the covered geography - This may be of the founding group or outside of it. Relevant bio details of the recommending people should be added.
- Resumes of the people proposing to start a group
The OWASP board will decide whether to grant the person of group the opportunity to start the new chapter for a trial period, but not before submitting the request for a review by OWASP leaders. The review will enable OWASP
- Trial period
- Chapter's structure
- Appointments and elections
- Conflict of interest
- Proper disclosure guidelines
- Minimum activity requirements