Category:OWASP Legal Project
Why is a legal project relevant?
The OWASP Legal Project's Secure Software Development Contract Annex (Contract Annex) helps software developers and their clients negotiate and capture important contractual terms and conditions related to the security of the software to be developed or delivered. Most contracts are silent on these issues, and the parties frequently have dramatically different views on what has actually been agreed to. Clearly articulating these terms is the best way to ensure that both parties can make informed decisions about how to proceed. The goal of the Contract Annex is simply to ensure, at each stage of the life cycle, that appropriate attention has been paid to security. An additional benefit is that this documentation can be collected together to form a "certification package" that essentially lays out the argument for why this software should be trusted to do what it claims it does. There are currently versions in English.
What are some examples of how the contract annex can be used?
Here are two examples:
- Implementation. Developer agrees to provide and follow a set of secure coding guidelines and to use a set of common security control programming interfaces (such as the OWASP ESAPI). Guidelines will indicate how code should be formatted, structured, and commented. Common security control programming interfaces will define how security controls must be called and how security controls shall function. All security-relevant code shall be thoroughly commented. Specific guidance on avoiding common security vulnerabilities shall be included. Also, all code shall be reviewed by at least one other Developer against the security requirements and coding guideline before it is considered ready for unit test.
- Security Analysis and Testing. Developer will perform application security analysis and testing (also called "verification") according to the verification requirements of an agreed-upon standard (such as the OWASP ASVS). The Developer shall document verification findings according to the reporting requirements of the standard. The Developer shall provide the verification findings to Client.
- OWASP Enterprise Security API (ESAPI) has been integrated into the OWASP Secure Software Development Contract Annex
- OWASP Application Security Verification Standard (ASVS) has been integrated into the OWASP Secure Software Development Contract Annex
| This project has produced a book that can be downloaded or purchased.|
Feel free to browse the full catalog of available OWASP books.
More About the Contract Annex
OWASP Contract Annex - Release (This is the current official release version)
OWASP Contract Annex - Release
- 03/20/2009 - OWASP Contract Annex updated to support the use of OWASP Enterprise Security API (ESAPI).
- 01/22/2009 - OWASP Contract Annex updated to support the use of OWASP ASVS.
- 01/01/2009 - OWASP Contract Annex language integrated into the SANS Application Security Procurement Language.
- 11/30/2006 - OWASP Contract Annex Release version published.
The OWASP Legal project is sponsored by:
Users and Adopters
Coming soon! Please let us know how your organization is using the OWASP Contract Annex. Include your name, organization's name, and brief description of how you use the annex. The project lead can be reached at Jeff Williams Thanks for supporting OWASP!
This project licensed under the Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0.
Articles Below - More About the Contract Annex and Using It
Pages in category "OWASP Legal Project"
The following 14 pages are in this category, out of 14 total.