About The Open Web Application Security Project
- 1 The OWASP Foundation
- 2 Core Values
- 3 Core Purpose
- 4 Code of Ethics
- 5 Principles
- 6 2014 Global Board Members
- 7 Employees and Contractors of the OWASP Foundation
- 7.1 Interim Executive Director: Paul Ritchie
- 7.2 Operations Director: Kate Hartmann
- 7.3 Membership and Business Liaison: Kelly Santalucia
- 7.4 Accounting: Alison Shrader
- 7.5 Event Manager: Laura Grau
- 7.6 Community Manager: Noreen Whysel
- 7.7 IT Admin: Matt Tesauro (Contractor)
- 7.8 Graphic Design: Hugo Costa (Contractor)
- 8 Meeting Minutes
- 9 Operational Procedures
- 10 Licensing
- 11 Participation and Membership
- 12 Projects
- 14 Membership or Donations
- 15 Tax Deductability of Payments to OWASP
- 16 Audited Financial Statements
- 17 Form 990 Documents
- 18 Annual Reports
- 19 Annual Budgets
- 20 Other Financial Documents
The OWASP Foundation
The OWASP Foundation came online on December 1st 2001 it was established as a not-for-profit charitable organization in the United States on April 21, 2004 to ensure the ongoing availability and support for our work at OWASP. OWASP is an international organization and the OWASP Foundation supports OWASP efforts around the world. OWASP is an open community dedicated to enabling organizations to conceive, develop, acquire, operate, and maintain applications that can be trusted. All of the OWASP tools, documents, forums, and chapters are free and open to anyone interested in improving application security. We advocate approaching application security as a people, process, and technology problem because the most effective approaches to application security include improvements in all of these areas. We can be found at www.owasp.org.
OWASP is a new kind of organization. Our freedom from commercial pressures allows us to provide unbiased, practical, cost-effective information about application security. OWASP is not affiliated with any technology company, although we support the informed use of commercial security technology. Similar to many open-source software projects, OWASP produces many types of materials in a collaborative and open way. The OWASP Foundation is a not-for-profit entity that ensures the project's long-term success.
OWASP Foundation Bylaws
The business of the OWASP Foundation Inc. is outlined in the organizational by-laws. These by-laws govern the organization worldwide and allow the participants to understand the established process for doing so.
OPEN Everything at OWASP is radically transparent from our finances to our code.
INNOVATION OWASP encourages and supports innovation and experiments for solutions to software security challenges.
GLOBAL Anyone around the world is encouraged to participate in the OWASP community.
INTEGRITY OWASP is an honest and truthful, vendor neutral, global community.
Be the thriving global community that drives visibility and evolution in the safety and security of the world’s software.
Code of Ethics
Each of us is expected to behave according to the principles contained in the following Code of Ethics. Breaches of the Code of Ethics may result in the foundation taking disciplinary action. Membership Revocation
- Perform all professional activities and duties in accordance with all applicable laws and the highest ethical principles;
- Promote the implementation of and promote compliance with standards, procedures, controls for application security;
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality of proprietary or otherwise sensitive information encountered in the course of professional activities;
- Discharge professional responsibilities with diligence and honesty;
- To communicate openly and honestly;
- Refrain from any activities which might constitute a conflict of interest or otherwise damage the reputation of employers, the information security profession, or the Association;
- To maintain and affirm our objectivity and independence;
- To reject inappropriate pressure from industry or others;
- Not intentionally injure or impugn the professional reputation of practice of colleagues, clients, or employers;
- Treat everyone with respect and dignity; and
- To avoid relationships that impair — or may appear to impair — OWASP's objectivity and independence.
- Free & Open
- Governed by rough consensus & running code
- Abide by a code of ethics (see ethics)
- Not driven by commercial interests
- Risk based approach
2014 Global Board Members
Chairman: Michael Coates
Vice Chairman: Tom Brennan
Treasurer: Josh Sokol
Secretary: Tobias Gondrom
Board Member: Fabio Cerullo
Board Member: Eoin Keary
Board Member: Jim Manico
Employees and Contractors of the OWASP Foundation
Interim Executive Director: Paul Ritchie
- Based in California - USA
Operations Director: Kate Hartmann
- Based in Maryland - USA
- Key areas of responsibility: general community requests, data management, event registration admin, community newsletter
- Job Description: OWASP Operations Director
Membership and Business Liaison: Kelly Santalucia
- Based in New Jersey - USA
- Key areas of responsibility: Individual and Corporate Memberships, Sponsorships, Co-Marketing Agreements, Advertising, Election, and Waspy Awards
- Job Description: OWASP Membership & Business Liaison
Accounting: Alison Shrader
- Based in Maryland - USA
- Key areas of responsibility: bookkeeping and account management, payments (incoming and outgoing)
- Job Description: OWASP Accounting
Event Manager: Laura Grau
- Based in Bay Area, California - USA
- Key areas of responsibility: Global AppSec Conference planning, execution, and wrap up; management of OWASP event policies
- Job Description: OWASP Event Manager
Community Manager: Noreen Whysel
- Based in New York City - USA
- Key areas of responsibility: Attracting, motivating and retaining volunteers and security professionals to contribute to OWASP Projects and the OWASP Chapter community; Mobilize volunteers to help address security issues in large software systems/applications/frameworks; Strengthening OWASP Chapters and abilities to spread message of OWASP through locally organized and run events;Building a scalable OWASP training program that spreads security training to developers around the world.
- Job Description: OWASP Community Manager
IT Admin: Matt Tesauro (Contractor)
- Based in Texas - USA
- Key areas of responsibility: Domain name and server admin, mediawiki and mailman support, documentation of foundation technical workflows
- Job Description: IT Administrator
Graphic Design: Hugo Costa (Contractor)
- Based in Portugal
- Key areas of responsibility: Graphic Design
- Job Description: OWASP Graphic Designer
- Additional staff and HR info
The OWASP Foundation Board meets monthly.
Participation and Membership
Everyone is welcome to participate in our forums, projects, chapters, and conferences. OWASP is a fantastic place to learn about application security, to network, and even to build your reputation as an expert.
If you find the OWASP materials valuable, please consider supporting our cause by becoming an OWASP member. All monies received by the OWASP Foundation go directly into supporting OWASP projects.
For more information, please see the Membership page.
OWASP's projects cover many aspects of application security. We build documents, tools, teaching environments, guidelines, checklists, and other materials to help organizations improve their capability to produce secure code.
For details on all the OWASP projects, please see the OWASP Project page.
Given OWASP’s mission to help organizations with application security, you have the right to expect protection of any personal information that we might collect about our members.
In general, we do not require authentication or ask visitors to reveal personal information when visiting our website. We collect Internet addresses, not the e-mail addresses, of visitors solely for use in calculating various website statistics.
We may ask for certain personal information, including name and email address from persons downloading OWASP products. This information is not divulged to any third party and is used only for the purposes of:
- Communicating urgent fixes in the OWASP Materials
- Seeking advice and feedback about OWASP Materials
- Inviting participation in OWASP’s consensus process and AppSec conferences
OWASP publishes a list of member organizations and individual members. Listing is purely voluntary and "opt-in." Listed members can request not to be listed at any time.
Membership or Donations
If you are interested in joining OWASP as a member, or donating funds for OWASP's efforts, please check out the OWASP Membership Page.
The OWASP Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Bel Air, MD. Our federal ID number for donations is: #20-0963503. We also have a European Entity - OWASP Europe VZW, based in Belgium.
Tax Deductability of Payments to OWASP
OWASP membership fees, OWASP conferences fees, OWASP conference sponsorships, and advertising opportunities are not considered tax-deductible donations due to the benefits the paying organization/individual receives. Direct donations to OWASP are fully tax-deductible given OWASP's recognized U.S. not-for-profit status. OWASP's U.S. Employer Identification Number (EIN) is: 20-0963503.
Audited Financial Statements
Form 990 Documents
Other Financial Documents
The easiest way to contact the OWASP Foundation is via e-mail. If you have a question concerning a particular project, we strongly recommend using the mailing list for that project. Many questions can also be answered by searching the OWASP web site, so please check there first.
Our global address for general correspondence and faxes can be sent to our physical office address, to the attention of Kate Hartmann, at:
OWASP Foundation 1200-C Agora Drive, #232 Bel Air, MD 21014 US +1 951-692-7703 (tel) +1 443-283-4021(fax) Contact Us
The European correspondence address is below. More information is available on the OWASP Europe page.
OWASP Europe VZW Leinstraat 104A B-9660 Opbrakel Belgium +1 951-692-7703 (tel) Contact Us
OWASP Norway Chapter Entity Record v/Kåre Presttun c/o Mnemonic as Wergelandsveien 25 0167 OSLO
Want to chat on IRC? The official #owasp channel is now live on http://irc.freenode.net ! Come on in and chat with us!
For more information, please see the pages listed below: