- 1 2012 Board Election RESULTS
- 2 2012 OWASP International Board of Directors Election
- 2.1 2013 Candidates & Interviews
- 2.2 Learn about OWASP
- 2.3 International Board of Directors Primary Responsibilities
- 2.4 Eligibility Requirements for Board Candidates
- 2.5 Honorary Membership
- 2.6 Who Can Vote?
- 2.7 Election Timeline
- 2.8 Have additional questions about OWASP Membership? Read the FAQ CLICK HERE
- 2.9 Submit Your Questions
2012 Board Election RESULTS
The election has completed. Please see details below. Congratulations to the newly elected board directors. The board will start its transition soon and the new board members will officially take office on January 1, 2013.
Turnout: 828 (39.3%) of 2106 electors voted in this ballot.
Eoin Keary 384 (20.8%)
Jim Manico 452 (24.5%)
Justin Derry 235 (12.7%)
Matt Tesauro 359 (19.4%)
Tom Brennan 416 (22.5%)
Answered Questions 1846 (96.9%)
Abstain 59 (3.1%)
October 15, 2012 ... 14% of eligible voters have cast their ballot.
October 16, 2012 ... 25% of eligible voters have cast their ballot.
October 17, 2012 ... 26% of eligible voters have cast their ballot.
October 18, 2012 ... 31% of eligible voters have cast their ballot.
October 19, 2012 ... 35% of eligible voters have cast their ballot.
Eligible Voter Stats By Country
Correspondence Report to all Eligible Voters
Post to linkedin group (12,000+ members)
Posted to OWASP AppSecNews Feed (lots of members)
4 posts to the owasp blog
Shared via OWASP Twitter Account (1200 followers)
8 Email blasts sent directly from Simply Voting
Personal email sent directly to each elector who had not voted on Oct 18
Emails Sent to owasp-all and owasp leaders list
To: firstname.lastname@example.org Date: 9/13/12 3:38 PM Subject: New OWASP membership deadline for 2012 election - Sept. 30, 2012 Sender: email@example.com
To: firstname.lastname@example.org Date: 9/21/12 2:09 PM Subject: September 30th deadline for election membership reminder - From the Membership Committee Sender: email@example.com
To: firstname.lastname@example.org Date: 10/9/12 10:34 AM Subject: Election Update Sender: email@example.com
Survey Results for Post 2012 Board Election
2012 OWASP International Board of Directors Election
The OWASP Foundation was established in 2001 as an open community and software security resource. Since then, OWASP has grown to be globally recognized as a credible source for application security standards (see industry citations). Individuals typically find OWASP when searching the internet for information about software security - and they are happy to find a reliable source of knowledge built by an extremely open and passionate community. OWASP is open to anyone. Anyone can attend OWASP's vendor agnostic local chapter meetings, participate in regional and global conferences, and contribute to the many OWASP projects. And anyone can start a new project, form a new chapter, or lend their expertise to help an OWASP Global Committee.
The OWASP Foundation Board of Directors consists of six elected volunteers. These unpaid volunteers dedicate themselves to the organizational mission, supporting the OWASP Global Committees and playing a pivotal role in the software security community. OWASP conducts democratic elections of its Board Members to enable bottom-up advancement of its mission.
2013 Candidates & Interviews
Yiannis Pavlosoglou - London - As of June 22, 2012 Yiannis has withdrawn his application as a candidate for the OWASP board.
Learn about OWASP
- Read the OWASP Foundation bylaws - Click Here - Review the Monthly Board meetings, voting history and topics - Click Here
Watch a current video about OWASP:
- Click here to watch an interview with Tom Brennan, OWASP Board Member 2007-Current
- Click here to watch an interview with Jeff Williams, OWASP Board Member 2004-2011
Or to see OWASP from the beginning, visit the WayBack Machine.
International Board of Directors Primary Responsibilities
Seated members of the Board of Directors attend and contribute to monthly meetings. See Archive. Additionally, they:
- Create and review a statement of mission and purpose that articulates the organization's goals, means, and primary constituents served globally. They then support that mission and purpose.
- Select the Director(s) and employees. The Board must reach consensus on the Director responsibilities and undertake a careful search to find the most qualified individual for the position.
- Support and evaluate all employees. The Board should ensure that the employees have the moral and professional support needed to further the goals of the organization.
- Ensure effective planning. The Board must actively participate in the overall planning process for the organization and assist in implementing and monitoring the organization's goals.
- Monitor and strengthen programs and services. The Board's responsibility is to determine which programs are consistent with the organization's mission and monitor their effectiveness.
- Ensure adequate financial resources. One of the Board's foremost responsibilities is to secure adequate resources for the organization to fulfill its mission.
- Protect assets and provide proper financial oversight. The Board must assist in developing the annual budget and ensuring that proper financial controls are in place.
- Build a competent Board. The Board has a responsibility to articulate prerequisites for candidates, orient new members, and periodically and comprehensively evaluate their own performance.
- Ensure legal and ethical integrity. The Board is ultimately responsible for adherence to legal standards and ethical norms.
- Enhance the organization's public standing. The Board should clearly articulate the organization's mission, accomplishments, and goals to the public and garner support from the community.
Eligibility Requirements for Board Candidates
You need to be an OWASP member. NOT just paid members, but an active project and chapter contributors are eligible as well Global Committee Members. All candidates must be in good standing for a twelve (12) month period of time prior to 31-July 2012. Individuals DO NOT need to be a contributor of a Global Committee to be considered eligible to run for a seat. Candidates are required to submit a bio, current membership number, note if you are a paid or honorary member and a "Vision for OWASP" statement. You will be contacted shortly after your response for an audio interview/podcast. If you are interesting in running for the board then please submit your intention to the Global Membership Committee along with the requirements listed above to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Honorary Membership will be granted to the following for the 2012 election:
- Chapter Leaders
- Project Leaders
- Global Committee Members
**NOTE** Chapters and Projects must be active. Your leadership position must be on file prior to 30-September 2012 in order to be eligible for 2012 honorary membership. ALL qualified individuals MUST apply for Honorary Membership in order to vote by completing the Honorary Membership Self Nomination Form
Who Can Vote?
OWASP Paid Individual Members, Paid Corporate Members and Honorary Members registered as of 30-September 2012 have one (1) vote per seat (there are 3 seats up for election).
- Note - this will include all chapter leaders, project leaders and Global Committee Members on file effective 30-September 2012, you can check the current Member Look UpIf you are not a member yet you are encouraged to do so.
1. Board director candidate registration deadline: July 10, 2012
2. Honorary membership application deadline (reopened) until: September 30, 2012 Honorary Membership Self Nomination Form
3. Paid membership deadline extended to: September 30, 2012
4. Voting period: October 12 - October 19, 2012
5. Election result announcement: October 19, 2012