Global Conferences Committee/Governance
As of April 1, 2013 the Global Committees were retired in order to enable wider community involvement and volunteerism through the OWASP Global Initiatives.
Want to get involved with OWASP, but not sure where to start? Check out the OWASP Global Initiatives Page.
The OWASP Global Conferences Committee (GCC) exists to coordinate and facilitate OWASP conferences and events worldwide.
The Global Conferences Committee shall be comprised of representatives as nominated by the OWASP membership in compliance with the process at the How to join a Committee page. Once a Member has been nominated to the committee, the current members shall vote on that Member’s application.
The GCC Members shall elect a Chair to serve a term of 12 months at the first meeting each calendar year.
- Members are responsible for attending at least 75% of the regular scheduled meetings.
- Members are responsible for voting
- Attend or send a GCC Representative to all OWASP Board Meetings
- Schedule and conduct GCC Regular Meetings
- Manage GCC Budget
- Provide meeting minutes
A regular meeting of the OWASP Global Conferences Committee shall be held at least quarterly in each calendar year. Meetings will be scheduled based on the availability of the majority of the members and may be conducted in person and/or virtually. Additional regular meetings may be called by the GCC Chair. Meetings shall be scheduled at least one week in advance and will be open for any OWASP Member to attend.
A majority of the number of GCC Members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of GCC business. If quorum is not established, the chair may adjourn the meeting.
Minutes of the meeting shall be recorded by the chair, or their designee and made available to all OWASP members
Any GCC Member can request a vote on an action. Any action taken by the GCC shall be decided by the majority (50% + 1) of the GCC Members. Voting will generally occur during regular meetings, however any votes recorded via email shall be open for 24 hours or until a majority has been established.
Conflict of Interest
No GCC member shall be permitted to vote on matters involving a conference they are organizing, their home chapter, or any self identified matter where the objectivity of the member may be in question. Any conflict of interest shall be entered into the minutes.
Removal from Committee
A committee Member may be removed when
- The Member participates in less than 50% of regular meetings in a calendar year
- The Member does not participate in any regular meetings in a 90 day period without providing prior notice to the chair
- A motion for removal is approved via a unanimous vote of the other committee Members
The Chair may be removed at any time by a majority vote of the other committee members. A new temporary chair shall immediately be elected to complete the term of the outgoing chair.
From time to time, committee members may travel on behalf of the committee and at the expense of the OWASP Foundation. Any such travel shall first be approved by the Chair, availability of funds confirmed, and notification of travel be provided to the other committee Members. In the event that the Chair denies the request, or is unavailable, travel may be approved by concurrence of any two GCC members (non-inclusive of the traveling member) so long as funds are available.
Upon return, the traveling Member shall submit an expense report to the Chair with receipts. Receipts should be uploaded to the relevant google docs folder along with an expense report (GCC Expense Report Template).
Expenses will be reimbursed according to the following:
- Transportation (Airfare, POV, Train, Bus ect)
- Any travel requiring air travel will have an allowance of 115% of the cheapest available flight (departing between 8am and 11pm) from the traveling member's home city to the destination as determined by GCC Operations Support. Actual flight expenses will be reimbursed up to this allowance and may be booked either directly by OWASP or by the traveling member requiring receipts.
- Personally Owned Vehicle (POV) usage will be reimbursed at $.50 a mile
- GCC traveling members shall book in the event hotel room block if available. If the event hotel block is not available, traveling members shall be reimbursed for actual expenses up to the greater of the event block rate or the average price of a single occupancy king bed room at a Hyatt, Hilton, Holliday Inn, and Marriott within 10 miles of the event venue (calculated by the GCC support staff). Hotel expenses will be covered for the duration of the event including the night before the event, and including the night of the last day of the event, to allow for full participation.
- Meals/Incidental Expenses