Front Range OWASP Conference 2013/Presentations/SaaS
Using SaaS and the Cloud to Secure the SDLC
This session will cover Software as a Service (SaaS) offerings and how they can be effectively utilized in web security development efforts. Over the last few years, cloud services (i.e. SaaS) have been increasingly used as both a starting point for application security efforts and as a full outsourcing of the appsec program. However, by the very nature of cloud outsourcing and delivery, it is difficult to evolve this approach into a mature secure development lifecycle. Developer involvement is a necessity, and the solution has been to bring vulnerability assessment technologies in house. But recently, organizations have started to deploy a mixture of on-premise and cloud appsec solutions as an alternative to the all or nothing paradigm of on-premise or SaaS.
Topics covered include:
- Overview of vulnerability assessment using SaaS
- Overview of on-premise vulnerability scanning in the SDLC
- Challenges of on-premise and SaaS implementations
- Private cloud variations of on-premise and SaaS offerings
- Hybrid on-premise/cloud implementations in the SDLC
- Use of automation and integration with development infrastructure to ease developer adoption of on-premise/cloud appsec implementations
- How organizations can use SaaS to get started with application security and mature into a robust software security assurance program featuring on-premise and cloud deployments.