Category:Software Assurance Maturity Model
| For the latest project news and information,|
join the mailing list and visit the OpenSAMM website.
Join us at the first OWASP SAMM Summit in Dublin on 27-28 March, details and registration >here< !!
OWASP.org is a valuable resource for any company involved with online payment card transactions. Dell uses OWASP’s Software Assurance Maturity Model (OpenSAMM) to help focus our resources and determine which components of our secure application development program to prioritize. Participation in OWASP’s local chapter meetings and conferences around the globe helps us build stronger networks with our colleagues. , (Michael J. Craigue, Information Security & Compliance, Dell, Inc.)
The Software Assurance Maturity Model (SAMM) is an open framework to help organizations formulate and implement a strategy for software security that is tailored to the specific risks facing the organization. The resources provided by SAMM will aid in:
- Evaluating an organization’s existing software security practices
- Building a balanced software security assurance program in well-defined iterations
- Demonstrating concrete improvements to a security assurance program
- Defining and measuring security-related activities throughout an organization
The foundation of the model is built upon the core business functions of software development with security practices tied to each (see diagram below). The building blocks of the model are the three maturity levels defined for each of the twelve security practices. These define a wide variety of activities in which an organization could engage to reduce security risks and increase software assurance. Additional details are included to measure successful activity performance, understand the associated assurance benefits, estimate personnel and other costs.
Click on any badge to learn more
|Strategy & Metrics||
|Policy & Compliance||
|Education & Guidance||
- Recent OWASP SAMM 1-Day training slide deck delivered by Bart De Win and Sebastien Deleersnyder at AppSec Europe 2014 in Cambridge
Current list of OpenSAMM adopters
- 13 May - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qaUqig6ucPb_kB0mSJ1Tmv7oJc9LF1Mem-oJrs-5XPM/edit
- 29 Apr 2015 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NwOZlX7dL-ADMTYZzN17qopmWCpwzbsqp47BxpLOiQw/edit
- 22 Apr 2015 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HNjIp6fBfhE72u8sOIkXpOmEoI7DlWKm_jUQ-ukIOvs/edit
- 15 Apr 2015 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/12uGomNwIMU_-WP5DRHv9KeOMufUNehULj_6cITv_rmM/edit
- 8 Apr 2015 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R2feB6u1tqMBx516GpTwfFssnnduOxeBwEsUrPoCvwI/edit
- 11 Mar 2015 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MKTbOsqtPRDBF4ghr-8UP_wmzYSlZXq8zZAN61B9nZY/edit
- 18 Feb 2015 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KnZDB2-0f2bYS4fwETEzCLP5y4FPS-TiHAnbCkO2hD0/edit
- 14 Jan 2015 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hTko3Bi56vI5DLj7BqjRsEwUw5QCGId4l1kg7htmVZM/edit
- 10 Dec 2014 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1599hkupNaEquVIk-VbN1qGDOzfq1Rwo1zhXLmWmRUFA/edit
- 12 Nov 2014 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GbDmwYyymxw_IZYNSh8aI9tyvl0MhxMO5ErFPN8hNKg/edit
Previous workshop Notes:
During the AppSec conferences, the SAMM project team organises workshops for you to influence the direction SAMM evolves.
This is also an excellent opportunity to exchange experiences with your peers.
If you plan on attending http://appsec.eu be sure to get involved in the SAMM workshop (scheduled on Jun-23).
- The agenda for the SAMM Workshop in Cambridge on 23-Jun-2014 is available here.
Previous workshop notes:
|Project Name||Software Assurance Maturity Model (SAMM) Project|
|Short Project Description||
The Software Assurance Maturity Model (SAMM) project is committed to building a usable framework to help organizations formulate and implement a strategy for application security that's tailored to the specific business risks facing the organization. The goal is to create well-defined and measurable goals that can be used by small, medium,and large sized organizations in any line of business that involves software development.
Key Project Information
|Release Status||Main Links||Related Projects|
Project Work Packages:
If you have some cycles to spare, have a look at the open tasks in the online Work Package list here
Is available via this link
List of SAMM Improvements:
Is available here
The monthly call is on each 2nd Wednesday of the month at 21h30 CET. (Your timezone)
Main topics to start are:
- SAMM v1.1
- SAMM Summit in Dublin
The call is open for everybody interested in SAMM or who wants to work on SAMM.
Project Activities 2014
- meeting notes 25-Feb-2014: goto here
Project Activities 2013
Project meeting minutes:
- Last meeting notes 16-June-2013: goto here
- Kick-off meeting notes / actions 7-Feb 2013: goto here
- Meeting notes SAMM Workshop Hamburg on 21-Aug-2013: here.
- Meeting notes SAMM Workshop in New York on 21-Nov-2013: here.
Download the latest OpenSAMM presentation (was presented by Seba at the OWASP India Delhi NCR meeting on 31-Januari-2015) here
| This project has produced a book that can be downloaded or purchased.|
Feel free to browse the full catalog of available OWASP books.
Pages in category "Software Assurance Maturity Model"
The following 47 pages are in this category, out of 47 total.