2016 Global Board of Directors Election
- 1 2016 Global Board of Directors Election
- 1.1 About OWASP
- 1.2 Election Timeline
- 1.3 Global Board of Directors Primary Responsibilities
- 1.4 Eligibility Requirements for Board Candidates
- 1.5 2016 Candidates & Recorded Interviews
- 1.6 Results
- 1.7 Call for Questions
- 1.8 Honorary Membership
- 1.9 Who Can Vote?
- 1.10 How Do I Vote?
- 1.11 Have additional questions about the OWASP Membership?
- 1.12 Election FAQ
- 1.13 Communications
- 1.14 Past Elections
2016 Global Board of Directors Election
The OWASP Foundation was established in 2001 as an open community and software security resource. Since then, OWASP has grown to be globally recognized as a credible source for application security standards (see industry citations). Individuals typically find OWASP when searching the internet for information about software security - and they are happy to find a reliable source of knowledge built by an extremely open and passionate community. OWASP is open to anyone. Anyone can attend OWASP's vendor agnostic local chapter meetings, participate in regional and global conferences, and contribute to the many OWASP projects. And anyone can start a new project, form a new chapter, or lend their expertise to help an OWASP Global Committee.
The OWASP Foundation Board of Directors currently consists of seven elected volunteers. These unpaid volunteers dedicate themselves to the organizational mission and playing a pivotal role in the software security community. OWASP conducts democratic elections of its Board Members to enable bottom-up advancement of its mission.
- Learn About OWASP
- Read the OWASP Foundation bylaws - Click Here
- Review the Monthly Board meetings, voting history and topics - Click Here
- Notify current board member(s) who's term is up - Done May 6, 2016
- Call for Candidates Opens May 10, 2016 Submit your Candidacy CLOSED
- Honorary Membership Self Nomination Submit here
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - May 27, 2016
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - May 27, 2016
- Submission for Questions From the Community for the Candidate Interviews - Opens June 1, 2016 Submit your Questions here CLOSED
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - June 1, 2016
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - June 1, 2016
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - June 15, 2016
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - June 15, 2016
- Email Reminder Call for Questions from the Community - June 15, 2016
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - July 1, 2016
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - July 1, 2016
- Email Reminder Call for Questions from the Community - July 1, 2016
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - July 15, 2016
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - July 15, 2016
- Email Reminder Call for Questions from the Community - July 15, 2016
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - July 25, 2016
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates - July 25, 2016
- Email Reminder Call for Questions from the Community - July 25, 2016
- Deadline for Call for Candidates Closes - July 31, 2016 CLOSED
- Deadline for Questions from the community - July 31, 2016 CLOSED
- Verification of candidates - August 1 - August 5, 2016 DONE
- The 5 top questions from the community will be selected - August 8, 2016 DONE
- Candidates announced & posted to social media - August 10, 2016 DONE
- Top 5 questions are shared with all candidates - August 10, 2016 DONE
- Scheduling of interview recordings - August 10 -September 1, 2016 DONE
- Deadline for interview recordings to be completed - September 1, 2016 DONE
- Recordings posted on the election wiki page - On or before September 15, 2016
- Email/Social Media notifying the community the recordings are posted - On or before September 15, 2016
- Paid Membership Deadline - September 30, 2016 at 23:59GMT
- Voting opens - October 7, 2016
- Voting closes - October 28, 2016
- Results shared with all candidates - November 4, 2016 (AM)
- Results shared via email and social media - November 4, 2016
Global Board of Directors Primary Responsibilities
The OWASP Foundation Board of Directors currently consists of seven elected volunteers who serve a two year term. These unpaid volunteers dedicate themselves to the organizational mission and playing a pivotal role in the software security community. Members of the Global Board of Directors are responsible for setting the strategic direction of the organization and ensuring the financial integrity of the Foundation.
Detailed information on meeting requirements, roles and responsibilities within the board, term limits, and elections is found in the OWASP Foundation bylaws. The Board of Directors Code of Conduct and details of the orientation and on-boarding process are found on our Governance page.
Please reach out to a current board member if you'd like additional information on what it's like to be a Global Board member at The OWASP Foundation.
Additional Responsibilities that the International Board of Directors must adhere to can be found on the Foundation Governance Page
Eligibility Requirements for Board Candidates
You need to be an OWASP member. All candidates must be in good standing for a twelve (12) month period of time prior to 30-September 2016. Candidates are required to submit a bio, current membership status and a brief description of why you would like to be elected. You will be contacted in early August to schedule a audio interview/podcast. If you are interesting in running for the board then please submit your intention along with the requirements listed above. All submissions will be reviewed and verified by OWASP. The Call for Candidates will close on July 31, 2016 so, SUBMIT YOUR CANDIDACY!!
2016 Candidates & Recorded Interviews
There are 3 seats up for election in 2016 for the 2017-2019 term. Candidates are listed in alphabetical order by their first name.
The recorded Board Candidate interview sessions are below. Investing some time and listening to each session, will help you become familiar with the candidates and their views on many aspects of OWASP.
Turnout: 611 (26.5%) of 2304 electors voted in this election
CANDIDATE --- % OF VOTE RECEIVED
Andrew van der Stock 293 (19.2%)
Matt Konda 225 (14.7%)
Johanna Curiel 204 (13.4%)
Martin Knobloch 192 (12.6%)
Owen Pendlebury 181 (11.9%)
Steve Kosten 148 (9.7%)
Frank Catucci 101 (6.6%)
Milton Smith 76 (5.0%)
Bil Corry 65 (4.3%)
Simhalu "Sim" Kandala 42 (2.8%)
Abstain: 16 (2.6%)
Call for Questions
The 2016 Global Board of Directors election has started accepting candidate submissions. If you are interested in helping lead a global community that strives on making the world a safer place, then please consider running for a seat on the Board.
In mid-August all of the individuals who submitted a candidaicy will be interviewed, and asked a series of questions about why they fell they should be elected. The questions they are asked come from you! We will take the top 4-5 questions and those will be the questions used during the candidate interviews. Now is the time to SUBMIT YOUR QUESTIONS!. You may submit your own question(s) and/or give a "thumbs up" to any existing question previously submitted by your fellow community members. The Call for Questions will close on July 31, 2016, so submit them today!
Each candidate will be asked the following questions.
1. What kind of action plan do you have in mind to help motivate the participation of Developers into OWASP community?
2. What would you do to improve OWASP's image regarding vendor neutrality?
3. What has been the greatest accomplishment of OWASP Foundation and what is its biggest failure?
4. What is more important to you as a candidate 1) Members 2) Projects 3) Conferences 4) Chapters and why?
Who is eligible for Honorary Membership?
- OWASP Chapter Leaders - The OWASP Chapter MUST be active and your leadership position MUST be on file with the OWASP Foundation prior to 30-September, 2016
- OWASP Project Leaders - The OWASP Project MUST be active and your leadership position MUST be on file with the OWASP Foundation prior to 30-September, 2016
**NOTE** If you are an OWASP leader that does not have a paid individual membership on file, but meets the requirements for Honorary Membership, then you MUST APPLY for an Honorary Membership in order to vote in this years election. The Honorary Membership request form is available here. All submissions will be reviewed and verified by OWASP.
Who Can Vote?
OWASP paid Individual Members, paid Corporate Members and Honorary Members registered as of 30-September 2016 will have (1) vote per set (there are 3 sets up for this election).
Please check the current Member Directory. If you are not a member yet, we encourage you to join. Join Now
How Do I Vote?
On October 7, 2016 eligible voting members will receive an email to their registered email address from email@example.com with subject "OWASP 2016 Board Election" This email will have a specific link for you to cast your vote. Please do NOT share this link with anyone. It is a specific link JUST FOR YOU!
Additionally, eligible voting members will also receive an email from the OWASP Foundation notifying them that their ballot has been sent. In the instance that they did not receive a ballot they are asked to contact us immediately.
Have additional questions about the OWASP Membership?
- Read the Membership FAQ CLICK HERE
If you have a question about the current election please click here.
- Where can I find communication to the OWASP Community about the upcoming election?
Answer: We will try to publish announcements and key milestone reminders to as many communication channels as possible, including the OWASP Blog, OWASP Connector, OWASP Leader's List and this Wiki Page. Please feel free to help us communicate the message, by re-posting, re-tweeting, or sharing with the OWASP Chapter, Project, or Initiatives you may be involved with.
- May 6, 2016 Notified current board member(s) who's term is up - personal email sent
- May 10, 2016 Sent Call for Candidates email via Vertical Response to 41,776 list members
- May 10, 2016 Call for Candidates social media posts Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, OWASP Blog, Google+.
- May 27, 2016 Call for Candidates social media posts Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+, OWASP Blog
- June 1, 2016 Call for Questions OWASP Blog, Email to the leaders, board and community list, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn
- August 10, 2016 Candidates Announced Email to the Board, Leaders & Community Members, OWASP Blog