2015 Global Board of Directors Election
- 1 2015 OWASP International Board Of Directors Election
- 1.1 About OWASP
- 1.2 2015 Candidates - (4 Board seats up for election in 2015 for the 2016-2017 term)
- 1.3 Election Results
- 1.4 Election Timeline
- 1.5 Global Board of Directors Primary Responsibilities
- 1.6 Eligibility Requirements for Board Candidates
- 1.7 Honorary Membership
- 1.8 Who Can Vote?
- 1.9 How Do I Vote?
- 1.10 Have additional questions about the OWASP Membership?
- 1.11 Election FAQ
- 1.12 Communications
- 1.13 Acknowledgements
2015 OWASP International Board Of Directors Election
The OWASP Foundation was established in 2001 as an open community and software security resource. Since then, OWASP has grown to be globally recognized as a credible source for application security standards (see industry citations). Individuals typically find OWASP when searching the internet for information about software security - and they are happy to find a reliable source of knowledge built by an extremely open and passionate community. OWASP is open to anyone. Anyone can attend OWASP's vendor agnostic local chapter meetings, participate in regional and global conferences, and contribute to the many OWASP projects. And anyone can start a new project, form a new chapter, or lend their expertise to help an OWASP Global Committee.
The OWASP Foundation Board of Directors currently consists of seven elected volunteers. These unpaid volunteers dedicate themselves to the organizational mission and playing a pivotal role in the software security community. OWASP conducts democratic elections of its Board Members to enable bottom-up advancement of its mission.
- Learn About OWASP
- Read the OWASP Foundation bylaws - Click Here
- Review the Monthly Board meetings, voting history and topics - Click Here
2015 Candidates - (4 Board seats up for election in 2015 for the 2016-2017 term)
Have a Listen to the group interviews on how the candidates answered a few questions that were submitted and voted on by the community.
|Abbas Naderi Afooshteh||Tom Brennan||Jonathan Carter|
|Michael Coates||Bil Corry||Tobias Gondrom|
|Nigel Phair||Milton Smith||Josh Sokol|
Turnout: 855 (33%) of 2587 electors voted in this election
CANDIDATE --- % OF VOTE RECEIVED
Tobias Gondrom 459 (53.7%)
Michael Coates 414 (48.4%)
Tom Brennan 312 (36.5%)
Josh Sokol 304 (35.5%)
Jonathan Carter 226 (26.4%)
Abbas Naderia Afooshteh 178 (20.8%)
Bil Corry 175 (20.5%)
Milton Smith 172 (20.1%)
Nigel Phair 125 (14.6%)
- Notify current board member(s) who's term is up - April 24 - done
- Call for Candidates Opens Submit your Candidacy HERE - May 1
- Honorary Membership Self Nomination Opens for 30 day - June 1 - closed
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates Submit your Candidacy HERE - June 1
- Submission for Questions From the Community for the Candidate Interviews Opens - June 15 Submit HERE
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - June 15 - closed
- Email Reminder Honorary Membership - June 25- closed
- Honorary Membership Closes - June 30 - closed
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates Submit your Candidacy HERE - July 1
- Email Reminder Call For Candidates Submit your Candidacy HERE - July 15
- Deadline for Call for Candidates Closes Submit your Candidacy HERE - July 31
- Deadline for Questions from the community - July 31
- The 5 top questions from the community will be selected - Aug 3
- Verification of candidates Aug 3 thru Aug 6
- Candidates announced in OWASP "Special Edition" connector and posted to social media/email - Aug 10
- Top 5 questions are shared with all candidates - Aug 10
- Scheduling of interview recordings - Aug 10 thru Aug 14
- Deadline for interview recordings to be completed - Aug 27
- Recordings posted on the election wiki page Have a Listen - Sept 9
- Email/Social Media notifying the community the recordings are posted - Sept 9
- Paid Membership Deadline - Sept 30
- Voting opens - Oct 7
- Voting closes - Oct 23
- Results shared with all candidates - Oct 28 (AM)
- Results shared via "Special Edition" connector, email and social media - Oct 28 (PM)
Global Board of Directors Primary Responsibilities
Seated members of the Board of Directors attend and contribute to monthly meetings. Additionally, they:
1. Create and review a statement of mission and purpose that articulates the organization's goals, means, and primary constituents served globally. They then support that mission and purpose.
2. Support all employees. The Board should ensure that the employees have the moral and professional support needed to further the goals and performance objectives of the organization.
3. Ensure effective planning. The Board must actively participate in the overall planning process for the organization and assist in implementing and monitoring the organization's goals.
4. Monitor and strengthen programs and services. The Board's responsibility is to determine which programs are consistent with the organization's mission and monitor their effectiveness.
5. Ensure financial integrity of the Foundation. Secure adequate funding resources for the organization to fulfill its mission; protect assets and provide financial oversight following general accepted accounting principles and policies and assist in developing the annual budget and ensuring that proper financial controls are in place.
Additional Responsibilities that the International Board of Directors must adhere to can be found on the Foundation Governance Page
Eligibility Requirements for Board Candidates
You need to be an OWASP member. NOT just paid members, but active project and chapter contributors are eligible. All candidates must be in good standing for a twelve (12) month period of time prior to 30-September 2015. Candidates are required to submit a bio, current membership status and a brief description of why you would like to be elected. You will be contacted in early August to schedule a audio interview/podcast. If you are interesting in running for the board then please submit your intention along with the requirements listed above here. All submissions will be reviewed and verified by OWASP.
Who is eligible for Honorary Membership?
- OWASP Chapter Leaders - The OWASP Chapter MUST be active and your leadership position MUST be on file with the OWASP Foundation prior to 30-September, 2015
- OWASP Project Leaders - The OWASP Project MUST be active and your leadership position MUST be on file with the OWASP Foundation prior to 30-September, 2015
**NOTE** If you are an OWASP leader that does not have a paid individual membership on file, but meets the requirements for Honorary Membership, then you MUST APPLY for an Honorary Membership in order to vote in this years election. The Honorary Membership request form will be available starting June 1 and will close June 30. All submissions will be reviewed and verified by OWASP. Submit your Request HERE
Who Can Vote?
OWASP paid Individual Members, paid Corporate Members and Honorary Members registered as of 30-September 2015 will have (1) vote per set (there are 4 sets up for this election).
Please check the current Member Directory. If you are not a member yet, we encourage you to join. Join Now
How Do I Vote?
On Wednesday, October 7th eligible voting members will receive an email to their registered email address from firstname.lastname@example.org with subject "OWASP 2015 Board Election" This email will have a specific link for you to cast your vote. Please do NOT share this link with anyone. It is a specific link JUST FOR YOU!
Additionally, eligible voting members will also receive an email from the OWASP Foundation notifying them that their ballot has been sent. In the instance that they did not receive a ballot they will be asked to contact us immediately.
Have additional questions about the OWASP Membership?
- Read the Membership FAQ CLICK HERE
If you have a question about the current election please click here.
- Where can I find communication to the OWASP Community about the upcoming election?
Answer: We will try to publish announcements and key milestone reminders to as many communication channels as possible, including the OWASP Blog, OWASP Connector, OWASP Leader's List and this Wiki Page. Please feel free to help us communicate the message, by re-posting, re-tweeting, or sharing with the OWASP Chapter, Project, or Initiatives you may be involved with.
- May 1 Call for Candidates is Open Email to the Leaders List and Community List
- May 1 Call for Candidates is Open Social Media (Twitter, OWASP Blog, Facebook)
- May 12 Reminder Call for Candidates is Open Email to the Leaders List
- May 12 Reminder Call for Candidates is Open Email to the Community List
- May 12 Reminder Call for Candidates is Open Social Media (Twitter, OWASP Blog, Facebook)
- June 1 Honorary Membership Self Nomination Request Form now available (Twitter, OWASP Blog, Facebook) Email to the Leaders List and Community List
- June 1 Call for Candidates Reminder (Twitter, OWASP Blog, Facebook) Email to the Leaders List and Community List
- June 11 Honorary Membership Self Nomination & Call for Candidates Reminder (Twitter, OWASP Blog, Facebook) Email to the Leaders List and Community List
- June 17 Honorary Membership Self Nomination Deadline Approaching, Call for Candidates Reminder & Call for Questions from the Community OWASP Blog Twitter, Email to the Leaders & Community Lists, Google Plus, Facebook
- June 18 Special Blog to Chapter & Project Leaders
- June 26 Honorary Membership Deadline Reminder Twitter, OWASP Blog, Google+, Facebook, Email to the Leaders list, Community list & Board list
- June 29 Honorary Membership Deadline Reminder Twitter, OWASP Blog, Facebook, Google+, Email to the Leaders, Community & Board list
- June 30 LAST REMINDER Honorary Membership Deadline Email to the Leaders, Community & Board list, OWASP Blog, Facebook, Google+, Twitter
- July 7 Call for Candidates Reminder Facebook, OWASP Blog, Twitter, Google+, Email to the Community & Board list and to the Leaders list
- July 21 Call for Candidates Reminder OWASP Blog, Twitter, Facebook, Google+.
- July 27 5 Days Remain Call for Candidates Reminder OWASP Blog, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Email to leaders, community & board lists.
- July 29 This Friday, July 31 is the deadline Facebook, Twitter, OWASP Blog, Google+,
- August 10 Candidates Announced OWASP Blog, Twitter, Email to the board, community and leaders list, Facebook
- September 3 Candidate Group Interviews are NOW Posted OWASP Blog, Twitter, Email to the Board, Leader & Community List, Facebook
- September 9 Reminder To Become a Member before Sept 30 & Candidate Interviews are posted OWASP Blog, Twitter, Facebook, Email to the Leaders, Community and Board lists
- September 29 Reminder that Membership Must be on File prior to Sept. 30, 2015 Twitter, OWASP Blog, Facebook, Google +
- September 30 Reminder that Membership Must be on File prior to EOD today Twitter, OWASP Blog, Facebook, Google +, Email to the Leaders, Community & Board lists